Tractor tyre pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

As a fisheries biologist, my daughter's nursery has contacted me regarding advice on building a garden pond for the children using a tractor tyre. Unfortunately, I have very little knowledge of building such things but would still like to help. The tyre will be placed on solid concrete in the playground so no digging available and I don't think they want fish, it is purely to encourage wildlife, frogs etc. I saw an article which suggested filling the hole on the ground with concrete and using a water sealer. Any idea if this is suitable and what shall I put underneath the tyre before starting?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I helped my neighbor do one for his duck and used epdm liner and added a water drain to one side to drain the water from it to clean it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
mine was screw in with washers .It was for a water hose ( spigot )like you put on rain barrels here .I added extra sealant to it and so far it has worked but it is only 5 months old .It does not drain it to the bottom but almost there .I had to cut a hole in the tire.It was not easy but got it done .His daughter had to do it for the farm thing at her school for credits ,so the baby duck is happy and healthy .It was not easy cutting the tire top out either .Her dad helped some and so did she .

Reaction score
Why do they want to use a tire? Why not just a preformed plastic pond or a kids small swimming pool. If they are set on the tire then it will have to be done as sissy suggested. Trying to make it look nice will be harder than making it waterproof. You could do away with the drain if you stuck a hose in it and let the water run long enough to do a complete water change every week or so.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was thinking of that after I posted ,my drain was because it was a duck .A small pump would work for you and you could also use a stock tank

Ask a Question