Training a waterfall

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was wondering if there is soemthing that will help me get the water from the top of the waterfall to flow where I want it to go. I know water has its one mind but I am trying to keep it from going over the sides, as I don't have large rocks to help guide it. I have used that black foam stuff but it is so messy, I thought maybe there is some sort of edging that might help. When I used the black foam I put rocks on top but it hasn't worked as I wanted. Its not a big waterfall but I like it. Thanks ron in Kingston Ontaro pondjuly19.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You are correct that water "has it's own mind" - but really what that means is "water seeks the path of least resistance". In your case, that means some will go over the sides. Think of a flat table - if you pour water on it, it's going to flow every which way. Now think of a trough - you pour water on it and it will flow to the lowest point. You've built a table. You need to build a trough.

The liner under your waterfall should come up at the sides to form the edges you're looking for. Then you can use rocks along the edges to direct some water or hide the liner. Does your liner wrap up along the sides? It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like not.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
You are correct that water "has it's own mind" - but really what that means is "water seeks the path of least resistance". In your case, that means some will go over the sides. Think of a flat table - if you pour water on it, it's going to flow every which way. Now think of a trough - you pour water on it and it will flow to the lowest point. You've built a table. You need to build a trough.

The liner under your waterfall should come up at the sides to form the edges you're looking for. Then you can use rocks along the edges to direct some water or hide the liner. Does your liner wrap up along the sides? It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like not.
I think the liner does have some room on the sides, we are redoing our pool in september and the pond is right at one corner so I will wait until then and remove the rocks that I have now and bring the liner sides up and then replace the rocks, thanks for the advice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I had the same issue with mine. Large rocks alone wouldn't be enough to direct the water. You have to use large rocks and then fill up the pockets between the large rocks with the waterfall foam or smaller rocks. You could also use planters and waterfall foam, but that would definitely go against a more natural looking waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Your waterfall should function to direct the water into the pond independent of any rocks. Your general shape needs to be concave - as if it was dug out of the earth, which is exactly what a waterfall will do, right? (Well, unless it's a giant sheet fall coming over the edge of a cliff... but that's a whole other thing!) Your liner edges should always be the highest point all along your waterfall. Bring it up, fold it over, and backfill it to keep it upright. The number one way people lose water from a waterfall is along an edge that's too low.

Waterfall foam should only be used to direct water over rocks rather than behind. Essentially you fill any gaps behind rocks where water could find it's way on the way down the falls and make it go over. It will not keep water from leaving the pond, if you are trying to use it as a barrier. Let me amend that - it may APPEAR to keep water from leaving your pond, but it's not waterproof. Water is seeping through it. It's also not necessarily permanent - we have "re-foam the waterfall" on our fall list of garden chores. Because the foam is generally exposed to the elements, over time it will start to degrade and break down and need to be re-done.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Your waterfall should function to direct the water into the pond independent of any rocks. Your general shape needs to be concave - as if it was dug out of the earth, which is exactly what a waterfall will do, right? (Well, unless it's a giant sheet fall coming over the edge of a cliff... but that's a whole other thing!) Your liner edges should always be the highest point all along your waterfall. Bring it up, fold it over, and backfill it to keep it upright. The number one way people lose water from a waterfall is along an edge that's too low.

Waterfall foam should only be used to direct water over rocks rather than behind. Essentially you fill any gaps behind rocks where water could find it's way on the way down the falls and make it go over. It will not keep water from leaving the pond, if you are trying to use it as a barrier. Let me amend that - it may APPEAR to keep water from leaving your pond, but it's not waterproof. Water is seeping through it. It's also not necessarily permanent - we have "re-foam the waterfall" on our fall list of garden chores. Because the foam is generally exposed to the elements, over time it will start to degrade and break down and need to be re-done.
thanks for the info, I will plan on making the path down to be concave as you say, hopefully I have enough liner to use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Lisa is spot on. The shape of the very base of your waterfall is the key. Before you add any rocks, you have to shape the soil under the liner in a concave fashion. The sides need to be higher than the center. It has to be formed so that the water can only go one way... back into the pond. Then add your stones. If your liner is done correctly, it won't matter one bit if the water seeps around or between the stones. It will always return to the pond.

While shaping the soil under the liner, you can also form shelves or steps to support your layers of waterfall stones.

Ask a Question