Transferring back to pond after restoration....

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So 23 goldfish in 450 gallon pond with great filtration and lotsa plants etc... but I'm making the pond deeper, so they are going to remove the liner, turn into into 675 gallon pond. I'm gonna add a skimmer and obviously the plants will need to come out and come back... the liner will have to be new and I doubt this will take less than 3 days to do...

I plan to put the fish inside in kiddie pools and some isolated tanks.... My worry is going back to the pond with a new liner and the plants may not survive well.

Does anyone have experience in this and how would you transfer the fish back safely? One fish a day? Wait for a month (crazy imo since the inside pool wont be that spacious) Do daily water changes on the pond?

Any issues anyone can think of in getting them back in the pond?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Will biofiltration be provided during the temporary housing? Three days without any bioconversion can be problematic.
What will be the total capacity (gallons) of the temporary facilities.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Gold fish are a hardy fish, but still need to provide aeration in the holding tanks. If you can keep some of your existing pond water in the holding tanks and then transfer the same water back to the new pond it would speed up the process. Where are the plants staying? They'd be fine in the kiddie pool with the fish for a few days. Aeration!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I can spend $40 get a 85 gallon kiddie pool, place one of the pond sponge filters in it and I can put good aerators in them. On the side I will have 3 tanks ready (1 30 gallons and 1 20 gallons each with HOB filters and aerators and a side 10 gallon for random small stuff).

On the other hand, I can take the damage and go buy a 300 gallon rubbermaid from home depot and just put the fish in it. I can put the sponge filter in it. That will cost $370. Of course the pond aerator will be used with it.

My main filter is too big and needs to be left outside to be integrated in the new setup.

I dont know what I'm gonna do with the plants. I guess they will go in the kiddie pool too. That's a lot of plants though. (two sets of dwarf cattails and at least 3 pots of lilies buried in the gravel).

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Portable swimming pools made by Intex serve well as temporary holding tanks for fish. For less than $50.00 you can purchase one that has a capacity of over 600 gallons and can be set up outdoors. You could probably use your existing pump and (already cycled) filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Found one at SAMs club and picked it up. $29.99 Bahahaha I calculated it to fit 800 gallons. Better than my real pond even. The fish will be happy though filtration will be weak with just my sponge filter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Filtration is the most important thing. Why can't you utilize your existing filter and pump? Won't your sponge filter need to be cycled?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Filtration is the most important thing. Why can't you utilize your existing filter and pump? Won't your sponge filter need to be cycled?

The sponge filter is easy to move into the pool. The big filter is a big box connected with a long tube and it falls off as a shower. It's that 10 steps filter from dr foster and smith. I haven't successfully been able to find a connection to replace the waterfall. The box waterfall is not high enough to fall to the pool without some of support.

I was hoping to get them to dig a place for it in the pond so I wasn't sure about using it on temporary pool.

My bigger concern is putting the fish back and if the pond will need cycling but I guess I'm over thinking it since i will use the same two filters.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is the reason for using the portable pool. You will be able to use the original water first, in the temporary holding pool and then, secondly, you can transfer it back to the main pond when the upgrades are done.
If your filters are allowed to dry out or stand for very long (24+ hours) with stagnant, non-moving water, some if not most of your bacteria will die off and the filter will need to be completely re-cycled again. If you could use the filter(s) on the holding pool this die-off will not occur plus you will not have an Ammonia issue while the fish are temporarily housed. Just trying to save you some headaches.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Mm I'm gonna need to figure a way to safely make the box work in the inflatable pool.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
What is causing you concern?

The biosteps box comes out as a waterfall. It aint that high. The big water pool I bought has a higher height on its sides than the box waterfall. I'll need to prop it and make sure the water falls into the pool and not to the ground... plus I need to make sure the tube bringing the water with the pump doesn't lower the inflated sides of the pool too low spilling the pools contents out. It's a lot of set up issues with the biosteps box.

The other scary thought is that Im gonna need to have this inflated pool in the basement cause if I leave the fish outside they will likely be cat food.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Place the waterfall box inside the holding pool. Set it on a concrete block if needed, but you really don't need to elevate it. It will still filter even if totally submerged. This way everything- pump, filter and plumbing will be inside of the holding pool eliminating any danger of major leaks.
Why is the basement scary? Do you have ghosts?:D
Remember, this is only for 2 or 3 days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Place the waterfall box inside the holding pool. Set it on a concrete block if needed, but you really don't need to elevate it. It will still filter even if totally submerged. This way everything- pump, filter and plumbing will be inside of the holding pool eliminating any danger of major leaks.
Why is the basement scary? Do you have ghosts?:D
Remember, this is only for 2 or 3 days.

I'm thinking I'm gonna do just that. Put the box in the pool.

I dont want to accidently flood the basement is why its a scary thing. Yes I gotta remind myself its 3 days... Good thoughts.

The pond is getting a skimmer added too so things are definitely going to be interesting.

Ask a Question