sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would think also that you would not want them to spawn early unless you want to get overpopulated with fish real fast .I really think my koi enjoy the cooler water like addy and keith say.I guess because the water has the most oxygen in it when it is cooler could be a reason .Healthier atmoshere for them

Reaction score
Oh, I would really like to be able to swim in this thing, year round. I ordered 50 White Clouds yesterday. Maybe at some point I'll buy some Koi. I need to work out filtration for a 20,000g system. There was a small pond next to the house (maybe 100g or so) which had a huge 500g filter, maybe I'll try to tie that in somehow.

Reaction score
I would think also that you would not want them to spawn early unless you want to get overpopulated with fish real fast
Part of my vision for this would be to be able to sell some fish and recoup some of my "investment". I would also like to have a good sized saltwater setup inside a greenhouse to grow corals in another part of the yard. Might be tough to keep cool enough in the summer when it's 105*.

Reaction score
San Jose hits 105 for just a few days once a summer or so. Given some shade and a good sized body of water the few peak temps shouldn't be any problem.

Corals require a really tight range. So tight as to require heating and cooling equipment. Keeping them in a greenhouse would not be a help.

A pool warm enough to swim in all year and raise fish to make money...Let me know if you find such a setup, I want one too.

Reaction score
I saw a school of seven breeder Goldfish on the surface today and they look healthy. I don't even feed them. I also dumped a bucket of 50 White Clouds in this afternoon. They're starting to school up already. I want to put on my wetsuit and go snorkeling.
Also getting my reef system back to "interesting". Twelve plus Green Chromis, half a dozen Bangaii Cardinals, and eight Paijama Cardinals with a Peacock Mantis in a refugium. One of the most beautifully weird creatures I've ever seen. Makes my cat go nuts.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You really should post some pix of these magnificent exotic creatures Canute!

Reaction score
A picture of my tank I took today:

tank.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks, I think this is probably the highest bioload I've ever had in the system. I've always tried to be pretty conservative with it. There's about 250g in total with probably 25 inch long schooling fish plus the Mantis and a few corals. I have a 30g facing a window growing "pods" and macro algae. I've been trying to get it cranking with the microfauna as quickly as possible to help support the fish and corals.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really cool and interesting fishes! The designs on the yellow/blk w/ red spots are something wild! Love the fins on the blk/silver striped ones! How big are the ones I mentioned?

Reaction score
Those are species of Cardinal Fishes.The Zebra striped ones are Bangaii Cardinals, the Yellow/Black/Brown spotted ones are Paijama Cardinals. They grow 1"-2". They're pretty peaceful. Most species of them are mouth brooders by the male. Bangaii Cardinals release young large enough that they're almost like Guppies. I had a breeding pair at one time.

Reaction score
Meanwhile in the pool-pond the Goldies are bright reddish-orange and healthy, and the White Clouds have been feasting so well they look like they can hardly swim.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Beautiful tank and fish. We dive those are some neat fish in your tank

Reaction score
If you could maintain 70*-80* all year around you could do that. It would also have to be covered to prevent salinity changes due to rain. I have a thing for Amazonians. If I could keep my pond warm enough I'd have big schools of Tetras. Coincidentally, I think Cardinal Tetras are the most beautiful fish. Maybe Rams and Plecos too.

Ask a Question