Transforming pool into pond

Reaction score
Pond is doing pretty well. I went snorkeling the other day. For some reason it just cleared up a bunch since we had a few days of hot weather. As an aside, I recently acclimated a few black Mollies into my salt water system. I even ended up with a breeding pair.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Great that the pond is doing good and wow snorkeling in your own pond. Would be a nice cool dip on a hot California day!
Neat that you got a pair of the Mollies. Don't they like salt in their water?

Reaction score
Oh, yes. The Mollies are actually in full strength salt. Two out of the four I bought survived acclimation. I was really lucky it was a male/female pair and the change made them rather amorous.
I'm also starting to bring a little bit more of the outdoors into my fresh water aquarium, with some Hyacinths and some leaf litter. Of course, they love it when I bring in some mosquito larvae.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep Mollies like salt water. I used to have some and had to put salt in there for them. They like it brackish.

Reaction score
So, the warming weather has improved the vis in the poolpond from 6 inches to 6 feet. Getting kind of concerned that there aren't enough places to hide. I have a couple small Hyacinths and the 12" Papyrus pot is a popular hangout already. Already seeing some small Goldies. Just wondering, is there a species difference between your garden variety feeder Goldie and expensive Koi?
The White Clouds and the Gambusia seem happy too. The skinny White Clouds are chasing the White Clouds with big bellies around, so I think if I can get enough hiding places I could end up with White Cloud fry.
I haven't done any feeding whatsoever yet. Wondering when I should start.
Kind of thinking I need to figure out a way to clean the bottom now that I can see it again.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Koi and goldfish were developed from different species of carp.
Now if you really want to learn more here is a link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koi

We don't usually start feeding our fish the Spring food made w/ wheat germ till temps stay above 50F -55F and then switch to the Summer food when temps are higher so they can digest that type of food better. You being in Cali. w/ warmer temps will start feeding earlier I presume.

Reaction score
It's swimmable but with a pronounced thermocline, so they've been feeding for quite a while. Just hoping the Goldfish, White Clouds and Gambusia don't run out of natural food.

Reaction score
I've always loved labyrinth fish, and just read that Paradise Fish should survive year round here. I don't think my poolpond gets below 50F. Much. I might try a summer tub with bettas.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat, my fish need to be able to handle 32 degree water, it gets darn cold.

Staying warmer gives you a lot more options than us cold ponders have.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I didn't feed my goldfish up here for several yrs and they did fine catching there own meals. They didn't populate much either. Now I feed them 2 or 3 times per week in a larger pond where there is room for more babies. Lucky you w/ your nice warm California sunshine!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine get fed 3-4 times a week ow they are on their own, keeps the population under control. This first spawn was eaten quickly, early spring caviar.

Reaction score
I'm hoping I don't regret throwing the Gambusia in there. I guess they eat everything. I'm going to have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get out of control.

Ask a Question