Transition to Aquarium

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I just joined the forum. I am what you call a newbie. This was my first summer with a small stock tank above ground fishpond. 4 by 3.5 ft by 20 in deep. I have 3 fat and sassy goldfish. Winter is coming and I would appreciate any advice or feedback on what I plan to do next. I had originally thought I could leave the fish in the pond for the winter. I now realize that's not feasible. I could lose the fish and after nursing them through heat waves, torrential rains, algae blooms etc. you get kinda attached to the little guys. I got a 30 gal aquarium. I would prefer that they hibernate, but I don't have a basement or garage to put it in. The best I can do is a corner of the living room away from any heat vents.
My question concerns when to start up the aquarium. 6 weeks ago I put some polished and acrylic rocks into the pond to start collecting bacteria. 2 weeks ago i bought an aquarium filter and put the sponge and bio rocks from that in as well as a small sponge filter hooked up to an air pump. The water temperature in the pond has dropped to 47 - 50 degrees F.
At those temperatures will that media in the pond even be growing more bacteria?
If not, I am thinking of starting up the aquarium now. I will fill it with pond water, move all the aforementioned stuff into it, fill the top with plants and start the filter. I also have some bottled bacteria and could throw in some food pellets.
I read an old post where someone did something similar, but they didn't mention the water temperature. They didn't have to cycle at all.
I have a master test kit and took a baseline reading of the pond today so I will be able to know what the aquarium is doing.
I probably don't have to move the fish for another month. They are in semi hibernation mode now. When I do I will fill the aquarium with fresh pond water so there isn't any temperature shock.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Just leave them outside and use one of these... It will keep the pond from freezing and the fish will be fine. I've been using one in my above ground pond for the past 4 years. Even the frogbits survive over the winter with it in the pond. I even keep my bog running in the snow.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Kudos for planning ahead. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. You are right about the temp. sensitivity of bacteria. I believe they will just be dormant to an extent and will get going as the temp. rises. Do not feed the fish for at least a few days before bringing in.

How big are the fish, looked around 6 inches? If so you will be maxing out the 30 gallon tank and then some. It can be done but can go bad real fast. Feed sparingly, regular partial water changes and monitor the water with your test kit, especially for the first 4-6 weeks as the cycle establishes.

If you do decide to bring them in, I would leave the lettuce and hyacinth out of the tank. The organic matter added to the water is not worth it even if you can keep them alive. I was able to overwinter water lettuce but only in an aquarium with a lower water level and glass tops to keep the humidity high under a double bulb shop light.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think your temps aren't much different then mine here in N.W Washington state. I don't bring my fish inside and I leave my filter running and my waterfalls. I realize your pond is a lot smaller but as long as you keep something in there running to keep a hole open in case you get ice I think you should be ok. You could put a small heater in there too. If you really fear something will happen go ahead and bring them in and sounds like you are doing it all right. No need to add bacteria as you are using the same water from the pond. You could take a little gunk from your pond filter and put some into the aquarium filter.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I am seeing zone 6a or b for Sicamous BC online? You could also use a cover of some sort on your outdoor tub to help trap heat and slow evaporation. If you get sun where the pond is especially, this will go a long way toward keeping it warm enough, helping the heater not to run so much.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh then if the temps are that low in that area then maybe you will need more protection than what I thought! I'd do the heater or bring them in.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Just leave them outside and use one of these... It will keep the pond from freezing and the fish will be fine. I've been using one in my above ground pond for the past 4 years. Even the frogbits survive over the winter with it in the pond. I even keep my bog running in the snow.
Thank you all for the feedback. Does everyone who replied to my query get to see this? Faebinder, that pond heater looks very interesting. especially that it heats from the bottom of pond. My pond is only 20 in. deep. Could you tell me how cold it gets where you are? and how much snow? Our winters are erratic. We can have a mild one where temperatures stay within 10 degrees of freezing, plus or minus. We can also have a cold winter with week long cold snaps of -10 F. We can have anywhere from a few inches to a few feet of snow. I don't get any sun in my yard in winter.
JW and JRS, Thanks for responding. Good tip about the plants. How about frogbit? There are LED lights in the aquarium cover. I agree that the 30 gal aquarium is small. It's shocking how fast they grew. I was hoping that the water would stay cool enough that they would stay in a semi-hibernation state.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Thank you all for the feedback. Does everyone who replied to my query get to see this? Faebinder, that pond heater looks very interesting. especially that it heats from the bottom of pond. My pond is only 20 in. deep. Could you tell me how cold it gets where you are? and how much snow? Our winters are erratic. We can have a mild one where temperatures stay within 10 degrees of freezing, plus or minus. We can also have a cold winter with week long cold snaps of -10 F. We can have anywhere from a few inches to a few feet of snow. I don't get any sun in my yard in winter.
JW and JRS, Thanks for responding. Good tip about the plants. How about frogbit? There are LED lights in the aquarium cover. I agree that the 30 gal aquarium is small. It's shocking how fast they grew. I was hoping that the water would stay cool enough that they would stay in a semi-hibernation state.

It used to get as low as -10F here but now only gets to -1 for a week of nights. Snow doesn’t matter, the trough heater will dissolve it eventually, it’s more about the wind and how long it stays below 0F.

My pond is above ground and is only 3 feet deep. It’s about 120 gallons with another 120 gallon bog also above ground.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It used to get as low as -10F here but now only gets to -1 for a week of nights. Snow doesn’t matter, the trough heater will dissolve it eventually, it’s more about the wind and how long it stays below 0F.

My pond is above ground and is only 3 feet deep. It’s about 120 gallons with another 120 gallon bog also above ground.
Hi Again, I have been doing research, read a lot of reviews into that tank heater. If it will work in the Canadian prairies it should work at my place. I still have a couple of questions if you have the time.
Do you find that it does keep the water temperature at or slightly above freezing?
Do you have to feed your fish in the winter?
Any danger of the fish swimming too close to the heat element?
Will that unit work with a normal extension cord? The manufacturer instructions state Must use a LOCKNDRY connector and Must connect only to a circuit protected with a CFCI. Are these things necessary? My outside outlet is in the carport and from there the extension cord runs directly under my deck to within 10 feet of the pond. I enclosed the cord for my pump in a slit length of plastic tubing buried under the river rocks of my yard. I think I would need a heavier duty cord for that heater - A 12 gauge? the one for my pump is only 16 gauge. I'm assuming that you use an extension cord.
If so, do you let it get buried under the snow?
P.S. I read the list of fish that you have and it boggled my mind! :jawdrop:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hi Again, I have been doing research, read a lot of reviews into that tank heater. If it will work in the Canadian prairies it should work at my place. I still have a couple of questions if you have the time.
Do you find that it does keep the water temperature at or slightly above freezing?
Do you have to feed your fish in the winter?
Any danger of the fish swimming too close to the heat element?
Will that unit work with a normal extension cord? The manufacturer instructions state Must use a LOCKNDRY connector and Must connect only to a circuit protected with a CFCI. Are these things necessary? My outside outlet is in the carport and from there the extension cord runs directly under my deck to within 10 feet of the pond. I enclosed the cord for my pump in a slit length of plastic tubing buried under the river rocks of my yard. I think I would need a heavier duty cord for that heater - A 12 gauge? the one for my pump is only 16 gauge. I'm assuming that you use an extension cord.
If so, do you let it get buried under the snow?
P.S. I read the list of fish that you have and it boggled my mind! :jawdrop:

I noticed that it keeps the water temperatures above freezing when temps are very very low and the temperatures are in the 30s, the water is in the 40s. If the temperature is in the 40s, the water is in the 50s and the fish are awake. I didnt notice a difference after 50+.

Only if the temperature is in the 40s and the pond is in the 50s, I feed them like once a week that wheat germ stuff. They barely eat.

No danger of swimming close to the heat element. They notice the heat and love it actually. You can tell cause they hang around it.

My outlet is close to the pond so i dont need an extension cord but you may. I used to use one in my old pond. I used an external one with a cover over the extension to prevent water and snow. It's there on amazon. I did let it get buried in the snow.

Yeah i know, i've cut down though.. all i keep is like 14 ranchu, golden topminnows and dojo loaches now. A couple of comets.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I just joined the forum. I am what you call a newbie. This was my first summer with a small stock tank above ground fishpond. 4 by 3.5 ft by 20 in deep. I have 3 fat and sassy goldfish. Winter is coming and I would appreciate any advice or feedback on what I plan to do next. I had originally thought I could leave the fish in the pond for the winter. I now realize that's not feasible. I could lose the fish and after nursing them through heat waves, torrential rains, algae blooms etc. you get kinda attached to the little guys. I got a 30 gal aquarium. I would prefer that they hibernate, but I don't have a basement or garage to put it in. The best I can do is a corner of the living room away from any heat vents.
My question concerns when to start up the aquarium. 6 weeks ago I put some polished and acrylic rocks into the pond to start collecting bacteria. 2 weeks ago i bought an aquarium filter and put the sponge and bio rocks from that in as well as a small sponge filter hooked up to an air pump. The water temperature in the pond has dropped to 47 - 50 degrees F.
At those temperatures will that media in the pond even be growing more bacteria?
If not, I am thinking of starting up the aquarium now. I will fill it with pond water, move all the aforementioned stuff into it, fill the top with plants and start the filter. I also have some bottled bacteria and could throw in some food pellets.
I read an old post where someone did something similar, but they didn't mention the water temperature. They didn't have to cycle at all.
I have a master test kit and took a baseline reading of the pond today so I will be able to know what the aquarium is doing.
I probably don't have to move the fish for another month. They are in semi hibernation mode now. When I do I will fill the aquarium with fresh pond water so there isn't any temperature shock.
Hi to anyone still reading this. After 2 weeks of wracking indecision ( started dreaming about fish ) about fish in or out for the winter I have decided to split the difference. I will bring 2 into the aquarium and leave one in the pond. That shouldn't overload the 30 gal aquarium and I will learn about overwintering outside. By next year they will very likely be too big to bring in anyway. Grew to 4 and 5 inches over this summer. The aquarium has been running for over a week and I think I may have succeeded in a pretty fast cycle. I put the rocks and filter media I had sitting in the pond and smeared some gunk from pond filter on it as well. Have been adding fish food in a stocking and some decaying plants to feed the bacteria. Used some bottled bacteria as well. It seems to be working. Levels went up then settled back down to normal. I won't move fish for another couple weeks until I'm sure its stable.
Regarding the pond. I ordered a sinking de icer (Thank You Faebinder) and am thinking of using a small foam filter with air pump. Mostly for the O2 bubbles. Or should I just use bubble stones? How many?
Its a small above ground stock tank. 3.5 by 4 ft. by 20 in. deep.
I have something I can mostly cover the top with and am trying to come up with an idea to wrap some kind of insulation around it.
I welcome any feedback, suggestions and critiques. I really don't know what I'm doing. But Hey, I somehow managed to keep 3 goldfish alive all summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hi to anyone still reading this. After 2 weeks of wracking indecision ( started dreaming about fish ) about fish in or out for the winter I have decided to split the difference. I will bring 2 into the aquarium and leave one in the pond. That shouldn't overload the 30 gal aquarium and I will learn about overwintering outside. By next year they will very likely be too big to bring in anyway. Grew to 4 and 5 inches over this summer. The aquarium has been running for over a week and I think I may have succeeded in a pretty fast cycle. I put the rocks and filter media I had sitting in the pond and smeared some gunk from pond filter on it as well. Have been adding fish food in a stocking and some decaying plants to feed the bacteria. Used some bottled bacteria as well. It seems to be working. Levels went up then settled back down to normal. I won't move fish for another couple weeks until I'm sure its stable.
Regarding the pond. I ordered a sinking de icer (Thank You Faebinder) and am thinking of using a small foam filter with air pump. Mostly for the O2 bubbles. Or should I just use bubble stones? How many?
Its a small above ground stock tank. 3.5 by 4 ft. by 20 in. deep.
I have something I can mostly cover the top with and am trying to come up with an idea to wrap some kind of insulation around it.
I welcome any feedback, suggestions and critiques. I really don't know what I'm doing. But Hey, I somehow managed to keep 3 goldfish alive all summer.

Dont bother with air bubbler over the winter, you'll just overcool the pond. You wont have an oxygen problem as long as the top doesnt freeze solid, which it shouldnt with that trough heater.

If you cover the top, dont cover it fully so some air can be exchanged.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get a couple bales of STRAW Pull them apart and slightly put the fluffed up hay around your raised tub. get a pond breather as they call it it's a heater to keep a opening in the ice so the fish can breath and c02 can get out . Build a tee pee over your pond the plastic with a opening only at the top will retain enough heat your pond may not even freeze if you do it right.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Get a couple bales of STRAW Pull them apart and slightly put the fluffed up hay around your raised tub. get a pond breather as they call it it's a heater to keep a opening in the ice so the fish can breath and c02 can get out . Build a tee pee over your pond the plastic with a opening only at the top will retain enough heat your pond may not even freeze if you do it right.
Got it and Got it. Thank you both. I am curious about why they don't need dissolved oxygen and filtration over winter. Is it because they are dormant and not producing the high levels of ammonia they do in summer ?

Ask a Question