Transitioning goldfish back to outdoor pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Hi all -
I am in need of your expertise. June 2022 I purchased a Beckett™ 160-Gallon Cancun Preformed Pond for my backyard. One month later, I added two common goldfish to my pond and family. Dang they grew big over the summer! In November 2022, I winterized the pond and moved my fish sons or daughters (Harley and Wild Bill) to the heated garage as Minnesota winter gets quite cold and the preformed pond is only 18” deep (zone 4b). The garage is kept at a temperature of 40°F during the winter. The snow finally melted about three weeks ago! I drained the snow melt/cleaned/and refilled the pond with fresh water two weeks ago. I would love to get Harley and Wild Bill back to their outdoor home but want to make sure I do it properly. Everything I find online just simply says to wait until the water temperatures are close to equal between their indoor and outdoor space. The garage water reads 39°F / 7.97pH / 174ppm TDS and the pond water reads 35°F / 7.88pH / 075ppm TDS. What are your suggestions? Is it too early to transition them outdoors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I think you’re good to go, but would float them in a bag or bucket in the pond until the temperature is the same.
Thanks for the response @Mgessert! I will definitely take your advice and float them in a bucket to introduce them back to their outdoor pond as well as slowly introduce some pond water to the bucket after the temperatures are the same.

For being in dormancy, I’m impressed at how active they have been throughout the winter in the garage. They swim around quite a bit but just stay deep. I only assume they are very sensitive in their winter hibernation and didn’t want to shock them with an environment change.

Thanks again for your reply!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Have you made sure that winter is really over . We just had a frost here in Viginia and it has been in the 70's and 80 's here .Canada seems to like to share cold weather with us even if we don't want it . My brother lives in Flatrock Michigan and works for ford and can't wait to retire and move here I hope

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
Have you made sure that winter is really over . We just had a frost here in Viginia and it has been in the 70's and 80 's here .Canada seems to like to share cold weather with us even if we don't want it . My brother lives in Flatrock Michigan and works for ford and can't wait to retire and move here I hope
I can never be completely sure.. but from past experience I think the worst is thankfully over! Just in case though, I do have a pond heater on hand. I never intend to use it for a full winter season but figured it would be good to have for an unexpected weather emergency. Hopefully it stays in its box.

I’m looking forward to 70’s and 80’s!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
SnailHello2.gif
and welcome @harley&wildbill

Ask a Question