Transplant Cattails Late in Summer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a stretch of pond shelf about 1 1/2 ft x 30 ft that I would like to plant in cattails. I plan on getting them from area waterways, but I was wondering...is it too late in the year to transplant? If I wait until spring, I'm afraid I won't be able to tell which are the cattails. I'm in zone 6. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I hear they are prolific. The shelf drops off to a dept over four feet in the middle so I'm guessing the cattails aren't going into the middle of the pond. The pond is around 30x35 ft.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would agree with that @brokensword ! That's why I asked about pond size - I would never suggest putting wild cattails in a garden pond. We met a man who put them around the outside of his cement pond - very cool look until they made their way through the cement into his pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Then I would stick to the smaller cattails - the wild ones are literally WILD. They will pierce a liner if they don’t overtake your pond first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The pond is so big that I need the larger ones to look right. I've heard that they pierce a liner, but I haven't seen anything written by anyone who kept them and who had their liner damaged by them. The first-hand feedback I have seen was from people who have had no problems with them. My local pond store sells them. People have been saying for years that tree roots will damage a liner but the concensus now seems to be that they don't. They can damage pavement but not a liner. I would expect a root to be able to penetrate pavement but not a liner.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you sure they sell the same ones that you can find in the wild? The ones that grow in our local ponds grow to 8 feet tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@mmorris I would seriously reconsider; our HOA has been battling cattails for over 30 years around a 4 acre pond and where they once were 20' thick, 3/4 the way around the pond, they are now limited (I laugh when I say this) to a stretch of about 100', about 8' thick. And this is with trying to kill them with a chemical every year. You don't really want to do this, imo, unless you can contain the roots and annually double check to see that none have slipped their shackles. If I were going to do this insane thing, I'd put the tubers in large plastic 'mortar pans'. Approx 3' x 2' x 8" deep, and heavy duty plastic. But seriously, there HAS to be another tall marginal you can fall in love with, isn't there???

Going to have to add you to my prayer list, if you continue down this path to Hel....

Ask a Question