"Transplanting" fish

Reaction score
So... When I was in high school... eh... 5 years ago, our family pool was in disrepair. The water was green, there was algea everywhere and mosquitoes were having a field day. The pump was broken and we had no money to fix it.

One day mom and I were looking at it, wondering what we could do when I saw something floating near the surface. A closer look told me it wasn't floating, it was swimming! We moved around the pool to catch the sun a little better and to our surprise there were HUNDREDS of tadpoles swimming right under the surface!

They had started eating the larve, and were reducing the mosquito count drastically, and there was nothing in the pool to eat them. So we started to brainstorm about what to do when they left. We didn't want the skeeters to come back.

We went to petsmart, bought 10 little goldfish feeders and released them into the pool. Now, 5 years later, some of the fish are 6 inches long, and there are WAY more than 10.

Now mom and dad are ready to resurface the pool and get it working again. I wanted to catch some of the fish and allow them to live out their lives in my pond. How easy would this be? Are there any special precautions I sould be taking? Does anyone know anyone else in Tampa, Clearwater, New Port Richey Florida who wants large, colorful goldfish?

It was a long story, but I think it's cute, and I need advice! Thanks all!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the fish will be easy to catch when the pool gets drained for repairs. put them in a baby pool and post an add on CRAIGS LIST and the rest will get adopted, probably rather quickly. only 6" at 5 years old, thats odd my fry that hatched out last summer, are between 2 and 3 inches already.(fill the baby pool 1/2 way with the pond water) run an aerator, with an airstone, if they'll be adopted quickly, or you may have to hookup a small filter system. you may even consider partially filling your new pond with the water from moms pond(pool) since its valready active with bacterias and will help jump staet your new ponds filtration.

Reaction score
I was thinkin about the water from the pool to the pond. And I was afraid I might have to wait for them to drain the pool a little. Craislist is a wonderful idea though, I love craigslist and sometimes I go there just to look around.

And I probably shouldn't have said 6 inches, though the biggest I've seen are, there are a lot more that come to the surface at night. They all hide when someone goes to walk around the pool. I'm hoping to change this behavior when they get into a smaller environment.

Thanks!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i had my fish eating out of my hand in a week, maybe 10 days. just stay where they can see you while they eat. every time moving alittle closer, let them see you toss the food into their pond. they will start associating you with food. growing more comfortable with you each time, when you can stay at ponds edge, put the food in,with your hand and keep it in the water, keeping it stiil and be patient, hunger will overcome their fear and one will come, once one does the rest will follow.

Reaction score
That sounds awesome. I can't wait to get it all started. We're going to have to build a little fence around my garden area, as I have a feeling my ever-involved dog will want to use the pond as a bath, and the fish as toys. He doesn't want to eat them, just play. But I have a feeling he would only hinder in my efforts to make friends with the fishes.

Thanks!

Reaction score
youll probably want to wait till theres about 50 to 100 gallons in the pond but basically you could use the pool water to transport them...either in bags or coolers or both...with a battery opperated air pump you can get from a tackle shop or sporting good store...but you dont need anything too special

Ask a Question