transplanting lillys

Reaction score
I finally broke down and transplanted my single Lilly into two separate pots. I tried to identify new buds but couldn't so I just cut the rhizome in half. It was hard and the size of a broom stick and 6 in long. Then the raccoons came and dug them up. So I had a chance to re-examine them where I found a new bud that I cut out with a utility knife. That brought me up to three pots.

Now its been 5 weeks and I'm getting new baby leaves off of both new sprouts. They only get to be an inch or so long. Do these need to be closer to the surface or are they fine 14' deep? How long will they just be baby leaves? When will they streatch for the surface? Next spring?

I'm in Nor Cal where the days are still mid 70's. Should I winterize them? Usually they die back and I just remove the pot from the fountain until next spring.

Norm

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
were still in the 80 s things are starting to slow down ...i just let mine die back and stay in the pond,,,,this late in the season dont expect large leaves

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Just leave them alone and they will eventually come to the surface. I never remove mine from the pond and every year they come back in the spring.

I have been told that when you cut them, to make sure there are at least 6 eyes and that the root is a light color, not black.

Reaction score
Well due to pond netting my water survived the onslaught of trees and gardeners with leaf blowers. I'm in norther California and today is the 1st day with sunshine and all the leaves are gone. I decided to remove the pond netting and much to my amazment I have several new leaves headed for the surface.

However I have an unwanted visitor. I think its filament algae. I'm assuming I treat it like a weed and yank it out as needed?

Ask a Question