Transporting goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know it’s only February, but I want to plan ahead. I already mentioned about the concrete pond at our new house this summer. Well, that is on hold as I have a lot to think about thanks to all of your input.

But I have new questions regarding transporting the fish the 400+ miles to our new house. My dad is unable to keep the current pond going, so my plan is to totally tear it down, fill in the hole, and re-use the liner at the new location (maybe?--unless you don't think that's a good idea). While doing this, I’m planning on putting the fish in a stock tank (that I haven’t purchased yet) and this is where they will be housed until the new pond is built at the new house.

Questions:

1) I have a total of 18 goldfish ranging in size from 3 inches to about 7 inches currently in 900gal. How big of a stock tank will I need? If one is not enough, I can buy 2 or 3 and split them up. I DO realize I will need to do very frequent water changes, aeration, etc. I’m not concerned about that aspect at this time. My concern is space.

2) When the time comes, HOW is the best way to transport these guys. It’s a 7 hour drive. The last time I moved, I only had 7 fish and it was only a 3hr drive, so they did ok in buckets. Do I do the same thing?? I’m worried about the timeframe they’d be contained.

This isn’t happening any time soon, as I have a few months before I’m ready to move. Just trying to plan ahead.

Thanks so much.

Loree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I've never had to transport my fish, but I've heard the best way, is in bags with O2 added. I think @sissy has used a battery operated aerator in the car, while fish are in containers.

Best of luck :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Will you have access to electricity in your car of transport? Like can you plug in a filter and an aerator for example? If so, then a nice large container with a cover and an aerator oughta do the trick. Sorta how Koi are transported.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have an electrical outlet in my truck bed and got the air pump off ebay that works on it .It cost me 6 dollars with free shipping .The ne I bought pumps a little bit to much air .I know Eric the ponddigger did a youtube on transporting fish .Best times is when it is cooler out .I think eric recommended bags .I only had to go about 30 miles on my farthest trip

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you. Will definitely get aerator for the car (or truck). The video helped also. Wouldn't have thought to not feed them.

Is it OK to have them kinda cramped in one large tote for the move?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would not cramp them as they will injure each other .I got a bigger tank then needed and did not fill it very full and got a lid that I drilled one hole in the center of the lid and put the air hose down it .I taped the lid tight and used a bungee cord and secured it from all sides with old quilts and blankets from goodwill and then donated the quilts and blankets to my animal shelter after they were washed .I put a tank in a tank .One was bigger than the other and it has worked OK for me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would not cramp them as they will injure each other .I got a bigger tank then needed and did not fill it very full and got a lid that I drilled one hole in the center of the lid and put the air hose down it .I taped the lid tight and used a bungee cord and secured it from all sides with old quilts and blankets from goodwill and then donated the quilts and blankets to my animal shelter after they were washed .I put a tank in a tank .One was bigger than the other and it has worked OK for me

Ok, I'll get a few totes, then.
thank you all so much!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It wouldn't hurt to hang a small bag of zeolite or zeocarb (whichever is available) in a mesh bag in the water.
1 or 2 cups worth.
That will absorb ammonia that the fish produce.

Ask a Question