Trap door snails hiding?

Reaction score
I have 3 large and 2 small trap doors. They have always been very easy to spot as the large ones are LARGE and have all 5 have long bright green algae on their shells. I haven't seen them for a couple weeks now and was wondering if they are hunkering down in the depths for winter?

Anyone else have this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We still see ours on sunny days - they hang out on the rocks, soaking up the warmth. And munching on the algae.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are everywhere, deep, shallow, sides, bottom, on the plants from tiny to large.
I have never seen any in my pond. Oh wait I never put any in there
crazy gal^^^ geez of course you won't see any.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I scooped a large one out of the pond when I was doing some maintenance a few weeks ago. Haven't seen any others crawling around lately though.

This will be the first winter I have kept them, I hope they survive (I bought them with the understanding that they are hardy to my area)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If I had them I could never enter my pond again cuz I would fear I would step on them and that would make me very upset............sad wise, not creeped out!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I had them I could never enter my pond again cuz I would fear I would step on them and that would make me very upset............sad wise, not creeped out!
You have to shuffle your feet, so you don't step on them, the snail shuffle.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
dut, dut, dut, dut, dut,dutdutdutdut................do the shuffle :whistle:
I'll be doing this all night now :confused:

Reaction score
I scooped a large one out of the pond when I was doing some maintenance a few weeks ago. Haven't seen any others crawling around lately though.

This will be the first winter I have kept them, I hope they survive (I bought them with the understanding that they are hardy to my area)
Me too! I'm in Michigan and our garden store has tons in their pond, the guy there said he bought 12 snails 5 years ago and now they have tons in their pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of mine are almost 3 inches, down to 1/4 inch babies. I have had them in the pond for years now, it has not gotten overwhelmed with them. Every now and then I watch one clean the camera lens.

Reaction score
I love try watch mine also and all the kids love to play I spy with them. The are faster then what I'd expect as well. Glad I got them as I wanted more then just fish in my pond life.

Ask a Question