Trapdoor snails

Reaction score
I've read and been told that trapdoor snails are beneficial in a garden pond since they will eat algae, especially the string algae that I'm getting. So, I have ordered 30 of them, which is a small number considering the size of my pond (16' X 24'), but they will reproduce, I understand. I would like to hear from people who have experience with snails in their ponds. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 225

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have string algae, but have tons of trapdoor snails. You can see their tracks along the sides and bottoms of the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to have them, but local raccoons kept taking them out and made a mess of the plants so I gave up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I don't think I've had any success with my trapdoor snails reproducing. I originally ordered 50 two years ago, but there's only about 1/4 of them still remaining. About half of them died off the first year, and I still find an empty shell now and then. On the other hand the common pond snails seem to thrive. I don't know if there's something I should do differently for my trapdoor snails, but I would certainly like to see some babies. Maybe next Winter I'll try to capture some to put in the hyacinth tub, and see if that gives them a chance to reproduce.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn said:
I don't think I've had any success with my trapdoor snails reproducing. I originally ordered 50 two years ago, but there's only about 1/4 of them still remaining. About half of them died off the first year, and I still find an empty shell now and then. On the other hand the common pond snails seem to thrive. I don't know if there's something I should do differently for my trapdoor snails, but I would certainly like to see some babies. Maybe next Winter I'll try to capture some to put in the hyacinth tub, and see if that gives them a chance to reproduce.

I have babies everywhere, they sure are tiny. Tons of large ones, in the preforms I have 50 plus from 2. Do not do anything special for them, just leave them be, But then again my pond is gf / garden pond, I always leave some muck on the bottom for them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
addy1 said:
I have babies everywhere, they sure are tiny. Tons of large ones, in the preforms I have 50 plus from 2. Do not do anything special for them, just leave them be, But then again my pond is gf / garden pond, I always leave some muck on the bottom for them.
I have the sludge that builds up on the liner, plus most of my bottom is covered either in sand or pea-gravel. They seem to like the sand, I find most of them down in it whenever I net out the leaves. Maybe I need to look closer for babies before I toss the muck.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shdwdrgn said:
I have the sludge that builds up on the liner, plus most of my bottom is covered either in sand or pea-gravel. They seem to like the sand, I find most of them down in it whenever I net out the leaves. Maybe I need to look closer for babies before I toss the muck.
Once you learn the feel of them you can pick them out without looking.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked mine up from tricker, huge snails and babies. They had babies on their way. They have very well in my pond, lots of large ones, lots of babies. I shuffle my feet when in the pond to move them out of the way (no koi)

http://www.tricker.com/

Ask a Question