trapdoor snails

Reaction score
What is the opinion of this forum on trapdoor snails used to help keep a pond clean. Anyone here using them for that purpose and what are the pros and cons. Is it worth any possible risk of upsetting balance in pond or is this a pretty straight forward practice?

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
I have a bunch in my pond but they were more decorative and just another form of life than for algae clean up. I have approximately 2000 gallons and based on the average that I read of 1 snail per 20 gallons of water, I didn’t really want to add 100 snails. I also have lots of nerite snails, they seem to be go after algae more than the plants, and they wont reproduce in the fresh water.

I think it is like adding anything new to the pond. There is always a posibility of getting something from the breeder or store that you dont want in your water.

As for the balance of your pond, I believe it is similar to adding misquito fish. They have benifits without much in the way of negatives and they shouldnt contribute much of anything to the load on your filter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like them, have a ton, some huge, look like round rocks in the pond, but they move lol

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
We have a surfeit of snails in our aquariums. We threw a bunch into the pond. Not sure if they'll survive winter and we also read that koi eat them.

Ask a Question