Traveling with fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, My Mom is moving from Arkansas to Washington and she plans on bringing some of her Koi and goldfish with her. She will be on the road for 5 days. Do they have a chance to make it? What is the best way to travel with them to keep them safe and alive? Thank you all so much.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It is very doubtful that they would survive a 5 day road trip in a temporary container without the benefit of biofiltration and aeration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Hello, My Mom is moving from Arkansas to Washington and she plans on bringing some of her Koi and goldfish with her. She will be on the road for 5 days. Do they have a chance to make it? What is the best way to travel with them to keep them safe and alive? Thank you all so much.
Did u managed? Scarry 5 days very risky, main challage will be stress and viberation bumps on road , for water quality u can stop feeding few days before and have batery for air pump UPS, or oxygen cyl , in a bag it can survive for a day with pure oxy, u may need special open container with soft padding inside ,aeration, fresh water change every day. Anti fungus drops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@KayCplease read the following atricle on how to safely transport fish :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/transporting-koi-and-how-to-go-about-it.42/

Five days is one hell of a journey I'd suggest that your parents send someone ahead to collect their fish and send them as livestock by UBS or one of the other carriers .
Using Oxygen they will make the trip safely "remember these fish are shipped across the world by the Japanese breeders everyday with no loss of life, to Europe , the UK and the US.
The logistics of them going by road are to great and too risky @Usman though trying to be helpfull is wrong about the bags they come across the world in them no problem but I'm afraid the journey by road and the stress they would be under is a no, no see article on stress :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/fish-stress.41/

I hope this helps your Mum and Dad get their fish safely to their new home

Dave

Ask a Question