treating fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi fishygirl first off your going to have to answer a whole list of questions so that we can get a good idea of whats happning n your pond the water perameters etc so please could you answer the following do you us a drop test kit for your water perameters or a stick test kit Please?
Nex bellow are a list of all the things your going to have to give us answers too about your water perameter results (we can learn alott form them)
What are the following results of all these perameters
* Ammonia Level in your pond?
* Nitrite Level in your pond?
Next could you please also test the water that comes direct from your tap
* Ammonia Level ?
* Nitrite Level ?
* Ph Level, pond ?
* Ph Level, tap water?
Could you please also answer a few more questions , they all go to help us in getting to th bottom of why your fish is ill
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently and if so did you bother to Quarentine them for at least 6-8 weeks ?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behaviour like staying at the bottom, not eating, flashing Jumping lying on its side etc.?
By answering all these we build up a picture of your pond and its inhabitents

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
fishygirl when treating fish time is often of the essence so we need the answers to the questions we asked the other day then we can get down to treating your fishes problem what ever that may be .
At the moment we are totally in the dark as to what is wrong with your fish and cannot help until you get back to us with some parasitic attacks if left untreated or treated with the wrong chemical so that a cure is not effected then Mortalities may occur sometimes in large numbers , do you want that for our fish ?

Dave

Reaction score
I m sorry been busy...that's a lot. Of questions...and I understand what your saying....but I' don't have answers to all those questions. I'm getting me a water test kit this evening and a pond heater mine died .my pond is 3100 gals and 3. Plus feet in the deep end...fish are flashing . jumping and now not eating..I have some Hugh koi sand gold..all most sure its parasites..but I use a med didn't seem too help wanting to add salt with it...so was just wondering..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like this is what your using to treat your pond?

* Liquid pond fish treatment treats & prevents pond fish diseases
Controls external parasites, bacteria, & fungus that infect pond fish
Treats koi & goldfish infected by Icthyophthirius multifillis (Ick or white spot)
Dual-purpose pond fish treatment treats AND prevents a variety of pond fish diseases. TetraPond Pond Fish Treatment helps control a broad range of external parasites, bacteria, and fungus that cause infection. Use as a treatment when signs of infection and disease are present. Dose your pond in Spring (when water temperatures exceed 53°F or 12°C) and again in Summer to prevent hidden diseases and infections.

TetraPond Pond Fish Treatment treats koi and goldfish infected by protozoan parasites including: Icthyophthirius multifillis (Ick or white spot), Costia Cilodonella, and Trichodina. 16.9 oz. bottle treats 2,500 gallons.

Please click "More Information" for directions.

Benefits
  • Treats koi and goldfish infected by protozoan parasites including: Icthyophthirius multifillis (Ick or white spot), Costia Cilodonella, and Trichodina
  • Helps control external parasites, bacteria, and fungus that cause infection

Directions
CALCULATE POND GALLONS using the following formula:
Length (ft) x Width (ft) x Average Depth (ft) = Cubic Feet
Cubic Feet x 7.5 = Pond Gallons

DOSAGE:
  • 10 ml for every 50 gallon of pond water (use top of supplied screw cap)
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) for every 300 gallons of pond water (dedicate use of measuring cup to pond water treatments only)
DILUTE the exact dosage in a bucket or water.
POUR diluted mixture into the pond evenly along the edges and in the middle.
STIR the water with hose spray or stick to further distribute the solution throughout the pond.

PREVENTION Dose the pond in Spring (when water temperatures exceed 53°F or 12°C) and again in Summer to prevent hidden diseases and infections.

TREATMENT OF INFECTIONS When signs of infection and disease are present, dose the pond immediately.

RE-DOSE after 7 days if signs of infection and disease are still present.

• Do not use in ponds containing fish, which are intended for human consumption.
  • Do not use TetraPond Pond Fish Treatment in combination with other pond treatments.
  • Store only is a cool dark place.

Active Ingredients:
Formaldehyde and Quinine-Hydrochloride.

Reaction score
Yea that's it...I am eastern panhandle of wv...it was 36c
Last nite....I put my pond. JeTer in to warm the water up a bit...thought that might be benificial while I treat them and come to find out it don't work any more. Something just tells me that I did not get a full bottle of pARasite. Med cause it wasn't sealed ..did not smell of any thing strong..store owner had to fetch it from his basement...charged me 22 dollars....I just got the feeling. I got ripped off...but any way..I just hope my fish are still hanging in there by the time I get off work. I am going to pick up another heater and more salt..also have some other parasite guard. Ordered from another place..if it comes in this evening

Reaction score
Country
United States
We still need a few more details. Did you test for ammonia? What is the nit? You should have tested for nitrite and nitrate. Also what is the temperature of your pond water?

Reaction score
Country
United States
If ammonia was not included in the test kit you bought then yes, you need to buy a separate kit (ammonia is an important thing to check in aquariums and ponds) Normally the liquid test kits are considered more accurate than the paper strips (and less expensive in the long run)

When you say you got a new heater do you mean a thermometer?

Ask a Question