treating fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
So please tell me about this square one concept....
Tell you what dp why should I eh ?...... you listen to no-one other than yourself anyway and attack those who try to help others , you made a promise to me not to keep attacking me yet you wont keep your word.
As to why I dont know is it because of some in felt insecurity I know not ?.....only you can answer that or are you just sad and get off on trying to belittle others ?
Yet again your pettiness has hijacked another thread

Dave

Reaction score
Tell you what dp why should I eh ?...... you listen to no-one other than yourself anyway and attack those who try to help others , you made a promise to me not to keep attacking me yet you wont keep your word.
As to why I dont know is it because of some in felt insecurity I know not ?.....only you can answer that or are you just sad and get off on trying to belittle others ?
Yet again your pettiness has hijacked another thread

Dave
Dave I am on topic. The topic here is treating sick fish. Pretty much any fish in 2 PPM ammonia WILL BE SICK. What needs to be done is as large of a water change as possible. If the fish are sick beyond ammonia poisoning, treating them will be much less effective in 2 ppm ammonia. Lets take your suggestion of 10 - 20% and make it 15%. Day one 2 ppm is down to 1.7 PPM. Day 2 1.445 PPM. Day 3 1.22825 PPM. Day 4 1.0440125 PPM. Day 5 .8874106 PPM. Day 6 .754299 PPM. Day 7 .6411541 PPM. STILL TOXIC AFTER ONE WEEK.... see where I am going with this? Day 8 .5449809 PPM. Day 9 .4632337 PPM. Day 10 .3937486 PPM. UH OH STILL TOXIC! and these numbers are assuming NO ADDITIONAL AMMONIA IS ADDED. What are the chances of that? Zero. Day 11 .3346863 PPM. Day 12 .2844822 PPM. Day 13 .2418108 PPM. Day 14 .2055391 PPM. According to the veterinarians at Petco STILL TOXIC after 2 weeks.

Reaction score
Well ...laugh out loud...was just trying to get a little help from this pond site..seems like all that happened here was some of you ponders are fighting over what to do...I'm confused..but I will be alright...think fish seem to be feeling better after the parasite. Treatment and about 4 different water changes..I been ponding since the early 80s...don't know it all and don't have. Any fancy..pumps or filTers or anything like that...maybe lost a fish or two...nothing major..over the years...but this last time. It had me puzzled to what was wrong...I appreciate. All....ALL OF YOUR COMMENTS...I know everybody has an opinion. Of what was wrong and that's great...I'm thankful to you all....but who really knows the right thing to do..do this..do that... Shaking my head..ok thanks.. To YOU ALL....I'm done....

Reaction score
Can't take any more fun...I might pee my self laughing...and I will make sure it's no where near my pond..it may make the ammonia. Levels higher

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Funny I read it as a 12 year established pond which means its been cycled for 12 years the ammonia build up in the pond has to be some other problem either caused by too many fish high fish load or poor maintenance to both pond and filter lack of water changes etc .
As to the treatment fishygirl take it back to the vendor because its a been used bottle of god knows how long you never use chemical once they have been opened for an unknown amount of time and they should never have sold it to you in the first place basically they ripped you off there .
As to this being funny fishygirl it isnt not when the lives of your fish are concerned its sad
Petco eh ?.... yes we know about them in the UK they have not had good press at all.
Superstore petshops with shop assistants removing dead fish before the store opens each day, maltreating the animals I believe one member killed a rabbit because it bit her "she drowned it" ,cats and dogs from so called puppy farms that die because of lack of injections etc personally I wouldnt touch them with a 10ft barge poll , prefaring instead a koi dealership to buy our koi from but hey each to their own .:happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Funny I read it as a 12 year established pond which means its been cycled for 12 years the ammonia build up in the pond has to be some other problem either caused by too many fish high fish load or poor maintenance to both pond and filter lack of water changes etc .
As to the treatment fishygirl take it back to the vendor because its a been used bottle of god knows how long you never use chemical once they have been opened for an unknown amount of time and they should never have sold it to you in the first place basically they ripped you off there .
As to this being funny fishygirl it isnt not when the lives of your fish are concerned its sad
Petco eh ?.... yes we know about them in the UK they have not had good press at all.
Superstore petshops with shop assistants removing dead fish before the store opens each day, maltreating the animals I believe one member killed a rabbit because it bit her "she drowned it" ,cats and dogs from so called puppy farms that die because of lack of injections etc personally I wouldnt touch them with a 10ft barge poll , prefaring instead a koi dealership to buy our koi from but hey each to their own .:happy:

Dave

Dave rather than trying to discredit a source by making silly comments maybe you could try posting some facts instead?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree totally that it has to be brought down but we have to know why a cycled pond of 12 years has developed this problem first and formost to stop it from happening again
If its bad practice then the poster is at fault and she should by maintenance correct the problem and as to discrediting your source Petco sorry, they did that themselves this is why we have OATA here in the UK
The problem is one how to approach the pond and its problems, my bet is a build up of detritus in the pond we also have to find out if the flashing ammonia or parasite because (lets say we do things your way) ok and it turns out to be parasites causing the flashing you have a pond with a 90% waterchange ,now you have to put everything under still more stress to treat your fish yes ?
Doing it by the book recomends you look into the casuses of the ammonia build up rectify it, and I quote repeated water changes of 10-20% daily.
Now who am I to say that the two Dr's of Ichtheology are totally wrong in what they have written , you know the age of our oldest 27+ years well its thanx to that book which I use as my bible and its never faulted me.
I have nothing to prove mate

Dave

Reaction score
I'm only laughing. At. The way grown up are acting....not that my fish are sick...I'm concerned ..they are my babies..had some of them since 87......but I think they will be fine....guess it's a mystery...thanks for all your help...EACH AND EVERYONE..I think I do recall some of you from the old garden pond site...back in the day when Jeff was on there...but any way talking like 10 years ago maybe.....and.so my fish are no laughing matter...but when adults. Act like children and can't play together ...I have to admitt. I did giggle alittle... Come let's all get along....smile

Attachments

• IMG_2697518036029.jpeg
    IMG_2697518036029.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 247

Ask a Question