Tree Frog or Bullfrog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
This is my first try at attaching photos. Here is a photo of a frog I took this morning in a window well on the back side of my house, very near where my pond will be installed this summer. Not sure if it is a tree frog or bullfrog. It's about the size of the palm of my hand the way he's sitting in this photo, and longer than my hand when stretched out. I do have a farm pond with bullfrogs, but this guy looks more like a tree frog to me. Anyone know for sure? Obviously, I'll have frogs near my pond and in it when I get it built, which I love!

View attachment 4716

OK, not sure it worked, but if it did, I'm going to also send a picture of the first daffodil in my yard, also this morning! Woohoo, spring is HERE!!!

View attachment 4717

Now, I'd better get off here and get myself to work!!! LOL

Patti

Attachments

• Tree Frog or Bullfrog.jpg
    Tree Frog or Bullfrog.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 523
  • First Daffodil of 2011.jpg
    First Daffodil of 2011.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 436
Reaction score
The markings on his back legs look like a bullfrog. But it is hard to tell without a few more pics. Usually if I remember right they have a lighter green under their chin. It's a good sign of Spring when you start seeing the frogs out. I hope they go back in to hiding with the cold snap we are going to have.
I knew we might have an early Spring 2 weeks ago. The 2 ducks that always try to use my yard as a nesting spot came back almost a month early. 2 many baby Koi at my place for a duck family.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
poor duckies need to find a new home. I have heard my pond frogs croaking, but have not seen them

Reaction score
I love the ducks really. And I wish I could have them around. But they are messy and will eat the babies and root up a lot of plants. They always find another place to have their babies. There are some good ponds close by. I would never hurt them. They really do not like a wooden spoon on a frying pan sound. LOL

I love having frogs around. Their croaking at night is soothing. I love having the front window open in the living room and hearing them sing at night. But I never have bull frogs. It is always these smaller green frogs that only get about 4" long. It's fun watching them grab the mosquitos and bugs as I am enjoying the Koi in the evenings.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ducks are fun to watch, but no kidding they do make a mess! I have some maryland green frogs that showed up about 2 weeks after we put water in the ponds. They do have a neat sound. We had one in each pond last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I will take more pics if he comes back. There is a toad dug into the mud in the same window well tonight. I love hearing the bullfrogs in the morning or evening, when I'm outside! Neighbors asked to "gig" them for eating, but I've simply told them "no, I like to hear them!" They say there are some monsters out there. :) The "spring peepers" (tiny frogs that sound like they gather by the hundreds in roadside ditches) have been chirping for several weeks now.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That is a leopard frog, One of the best frogs for a pond! don't eat fish and get VERY tame over time. I used to have one at one of my homes years ago that would sit on the water fall rocks and eat crickets that the kids would catch out of the yard right of their hands. I would love to have a few leopards, We have Green Tree, peepers which are tiny and annoying, toads that are even more annoying and Bullfrogs which I have to remove once they get over 12" long, any bigger and small koi start becoming food. Luckily most leave before they get that big anyway. Hint! If you want to sleep in peace NEVER build a pond outside your bedroom window! Water falls sound so relaxing until 100 toads, 50 tree frogs, a million peppers and a half dozen bullfrogs get started, that's my midnight orchestra!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
HaHaHa, I keep wishing frogs would show up at my pond cuz here I can hear them off in the distance at my neighbors Koi pond but not thinking I would want a whole ton truckload of them singing all night outside my bedroom window :regular_waving_emot

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
HaHaHa, I keep wishing frogs would show up at my pond cuz here I can hear them off in the distance at my neighbors Koi pond but not thinking I would want a whole ton truckload of them singing all night outside my bedroom window :lol:
Thankfully, It's not year round! After working offshore for 15 years frogs are peaceful compared to diesel engines running all night. Plus they help to drown out my pug, she snores bad and sleeps right beside me every night so you just adapt I guess! lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Frogs here make so much racket even the neighbors down the street complain and they are not close and we have a wooded section between us

Ask a Question