Tree's and Fauna Dangerous to our fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
How many of us have either tree's or fauna over looking the pond and in the case of fauna over hanging the pond ?
They look really nice we hear you say but have you ever stopped to think that they may be harmful, if not lethal to your Koi?
A few years ago I was helping a fellow fishkeeping friend in Australia and when the fish continued to have problems we had to look at the enviroment they where in. f
First underwater woth which we drew a blank, then we started to look at her garden and I realised that we hadn't a clue just what effects her trees and fauna may have on the fish.
Well to cut a long story sgort we decided to look into things contacting the Australian Koi Society they, furnished us with a list but but we found that not all the tree's and fana on the list where Australian, which got me to thinking even more realising that there had been vast migrations of plants around the world in the Victorian era but this has also gone on ever since.
Looking into things a little further I came up with two links to lists of trees and fauna.
Please look into these links and save them off for future reference they will come in very useful:-

http://www.koi-pond-guide.com/toxic-plants.html

http://www.cnykoi.com/articles/plantpoisonous.asp

Much to say if you find you have things on this list take them out then plant something that isnt harmful, if not lethal to our koi ,take for example we had a huge Rhododendron that we wanted as a backdrop to our pond , youll find it on the list so it had to go after being in our garden for over 22 years, sad I know but neccessary
hope it all helps

Dave

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very long lists! I know some people have some of those plants in their ponds as water plants and haven't heard of deaths but maybe it depends on whether the fish ingest the plant.........for some plants anyways. I guess the ones I have around my pond that could drop things in there are not on the list. I have just some sedums, evergreen shrubs and some grassy type plants around mine. Have some snapdragons but not close enough to fall into the pond. Have had my pond for over 10yrs w/ the same plants so guess I'm safe.

Ask a Question