Resource icon

Trees and Flora Dangerous to Fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 submitted a new article:

Trees and Fauna Dangerous to our fish - Think about how you place your trees and fauna

How many of us have either tree's or fauna over looking the pond and in the case of fauna over hanging the pond ?
They look really nice we hear you say but have you ever stopped to think that they may be harmful, if not lethal to your Koi?
A few years ago I was helping a fellow fishkeeping friend in Australia and when the fish continued to have problems we had to look at the enviroment they where in. f
First underwater woth which we drew a blank, then we started to look at her garden and I...

Read more about this article...

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
These current lists are far from being accurate. I am currently involved with a group that is in the process of accurately delineating those plants that are truly toxic to Koi or any other fish. There are five (5) known plant produced toxins that are lethal to fish--rotenone, saponin, cyanide, ichthyocthereol, and triterpene. There are several entries in the linked Pond Guide list that are there surely based only on anecdotal evidence as I have personally used them around, and in, ponds for years with no ill effects. Plants such as Iris, Colocasia, Oak, Callistemon, et. al..

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I haven't read the article yet, but let me ask a question...... By "toxic" or dangerous, are we talking about things disolved in or in contact with their water, or things that they could/would ingest?

If it's something in the water, of course the fish wouldn't be able to escape their environment, which isn't good.

As to ingestion, I've read a multitude of lists of plants that are toxic to box turtles, but it boils down to the question of whether the turtle would avoid or eat the offending plant. What would a fish do?

So, just wondering......

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I haven't read the article yet, but let me ask a question...... By "toxic" or dangerous, are we talking about things disolved in or in contact with their water, or things that they could/would ingest?

If it's something in the water, of course the fish wouldn't be able to escape their environment, which isn't good.

As to ingestion, I've read a multitude of lists of plants that are toxic to box turtles, but it boils down to the question of whether the turtle would avoid or eat the offending plant. What would a fish do?

So, just wondering......

Excellent points, Mmathis. The distinction between ingestion and absorption is not made in any of the current lists that are out there. Nor is the level at which toxicity occurs delineated.
All animals, including turtle and fish, have an instinctive ability to avoid potential food sources that are toxic. And these differ from specie to specie.
I suspect that many plants have ended up on these lists because the particular pond owners did not look deep enough into what may have caused a toxic reaction in their fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Excellent points, Mmathis. The distinction between ingestion and absorption is not made in any of the current lists that are out there. Nor is the level at which toxicity occurs delineated.
All animals, including turtle and fish, have an instinctive ability to avoid potential food sources that are toxic. And these differ from specie to specie.
I suspect that many plants have ended up on these lists because the particular pond owners did not look deep enough into what may have caused a toxic reaction in their fish.
The lists came of the internet many moons agonow Meyer andhas sort of used as a standard List by koi clubs ever since, however your study seems to go much deeper into the reasons why Meyer
Could you link us into this in depth article so we can read it :cool::happy:

Dave

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The lists came of the internet many moons agonow Meyer andhas sort of used as a standard List by koi clubs ever since, however your study seems to go much deeper into the reasons why Meyer
Could you link us into this in depth article so we can read it :cool::happy:

Dave
There is no article as yet. We are just in the preliminary research phase of the project. I suspect that it will be months before it is ready to be published, but you can rely on the fact that it WILL BE accurate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Just for clarification, "fauna" means animal life. "Flora" refers to plant life.
Just going off the list Liska but thanx for the clarification on this as noone has ever picked up on this before now , very much appreciated :happy:

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yikes !! im going to have to move my pond to the old Walmart parking lot

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
almost every plant i got is on the list

Me, too. I've seen other lists like this and thought "well, my fish are goners for sure!" Cardinal flower, elephant ears, buttercup, , milkweed, vinca, lily, sweet potato vine, IMPATIENS! Those all grow in my pond. EVERYONE grows these things in and around their ponds here. Heck, I grew cherry tomatoes in my bog one year and my fish feasted on tomatoes for a month. I think my fish are too dumb to know what's bad for them!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I have never worried about plants. Our yard is full of plants, plants everywhere.
and a bog full of plants, some self seeded, a lot put in by me.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am sure the plants are poisonous ,but i hope my fish are smart enough not to eat them

Ask a Question