Trees in pots in pond....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have inherited a pond, when moving home. I have just cleaned it all out and put the fish back in (around 200 goldfish, orfe and others). putting some more oxygenating plants on, but someone mentioned putting trees in the pond, in pots. I have a weeping willow, 7ft high, that's been in a pot for some time. Does anything think its safe to put in the pond on a shallow shelf. If so what other trees are suitable for this....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome Ian! Wow, a weeping willow. I've never tried that but it seems like it would shed a bunch of leaves in the pond and become huge & ungainly. I do have several Red Mangrove trees growing in one of my indoor ponds and they are easy to care for and not intrusive. How large is your pond?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have inherited a pond, when moving home. I have just cleaned it all out and put the fish back in (around 200 goldfish, orfe and others). putting some more oxygenating plants on, but someone mentioned putting trees in the pond, in pots. I have a weeping willow, 7ft high, that's been in a pot for some time. Does anything think its safe to put in the pond on a shallow shelf. If so what other trees are suitable for this....

I don't know anything about growing trees in ponds, but Weeping Willows have aggressive root systems that seem to grow through everything. I wouldn't want one in my pond nor anywhere near it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Ian! Wow, a weeping willow. I've never tried that but it seems like it would shed a bunch of leaves in the pond and become huge & ungainly. I do have several Red Mangrove trees growing in one of my indoor ponds and they are easy to care for and not intrusive. How large is your pond?
It’s around 8mtrs by 8mtrs, some 12-13,000 ltrs to fill.

My weeping willow is in a pot, so it’s only grown to size of space available for the roots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know anything about growing trees in ponds, but Weeping Willows have aggressive root systems that seem to grow through everything. I wouldn't want one in my pond nor anywhere near it.
My weeping willow is in a pot, so it’s only grown to size of space available for the roots.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1588013796347.gif
@Ian Y
Hey you can try it but keep an eye on that pot as it could bust wide open eventually like a giant time bomb! Like said above I wouldn't want all the leaves in my pond come Fall.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
View attachment 127983@Ian Y
Hey you can try it but keep an eye on that pot as it could bust wide open eventually like a giant time bomb! Like said above I wouldn't want all the leaves in my pond come Fall.

I agree with that. I have a weeping willow in my backyard away from my pond and it dumps so many leaves. Many make it over to my pond. The leaves are so narrow that my net doesn't keep them out. On the bright side, it's slowly rotting away, so someday it'll just die off completely, hopefully.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
weeping willows have aggressive yet very shallow rooted and weak trees leaves, roots, and uprooting id never let one within 50 ' of my pond

Ask a Question