Tried Using Carbon - Unsuccessfully

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just tried using about 1 lb of activated carbon to try and clear up my tannins, but for some reason it didn't really work. It's been in a perforated container in the filter for days now, but I'm not seeing much improvement. Any tips? The pond is about 100 gallons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tannins are released with the decay of plant , leaves, needles, and Nuts decaying in the water. Try and remove them all as soon as you can a pond vac maybe helpful.
A perforated container is not thesame as a pressurized container that forces water through it . If you realy want tannins gone. Get a canister filter use the carbon and do water changes and maintenance

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry I missed the 100 gallons treat it more like an aquarium for that's realy what it is in size I doubt mother nature could ever balance a 100 gallon body of water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: I've removed all the debris in the pond, but the fact that it's under a huge walnut tree that is always dropping something is demoralizing. I really wanted a pond in this spot. :/

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You could install a net over the area…..or maybe even a small pergola-type structure.

That is a small pond, so overall, you will be fighting various water quality issues (smaller bodies of water are harder to keep stabilized).

Do you have any pictures of the area? Maybe we can help you with alternatives.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll try to get a pic up when I'm not at work for sure. It ma simply be true that I need to put a new pond (and fish) in a more open area closer to the house (I have a big yard) and leave this to be the doom pond.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'll try to get a pic up when I'm not at work for sure. It ma simply be true that I need to put a new pond (and fish) in a more open area (I have a big yard) and leave this to be the doom pond.
You could always use the smaller one as a “wildlife” area, or as a grow area for plants (depending on how much sunlight it gets). Sometimes we have to re-think, and when we do, and we open ourselves to more possibilities……the ideas are unlimited — as are the rewards!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Update: I've removed all the debris in the pond, but the fact that it's under a huge walnut tree that is always dropping something is demoralizing. I really wanted a pond in this spot. :/
Would not be the first time I saw a canopy of some sort strung across the pond deflect the leaves and nuts

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may want to do some research on toxicity of walnut trees. The leaves and shells from them is poisonous to animals as well as surrounding plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are my two main ponds. The first is the one under the English walnut that I tried to filter with carbon. Yesterday I just drained it (shibunkins moved to an unheated aquarium inside), mucked it out, and refilled it. As of this morning, it's nice and clear. I plan to just use this pond for plants now. Second image is the beginning of my new fish pond. I'm learning a lot about big filters, and will use one on both ponds.

Attachments

• PXL_20220606_103058303.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220606_103058303.MP.jpg
    368.4 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20220606_103143680.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220606_103143680.MP.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 12

Ask a Question