Tropical Lily in Cold Locations Question

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Last year I tried my first tropical water lily. In the fall I pulled it out and stored it. The root is in good shape and still firm. Now I am wondering when I should put it back in the water?

Is there a minimum water temp I should wait for, before putting it back in the pond? 50 degrees? 60 degrees? 70 degrees? Just not sure when it is ok to re-plant it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I had them I waited until the water was 65 then planted them shallow full sun, to be as warm as possible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
When I had them I waited until the water was 65 then planted them shallow full sun, to be as warm as possible.

Thanks Addy! I was thinking about starting it in the little pond/bog (against the south facing wall of the house) because it is always much warmer than the big pond. Ill wait until the water warms to about 65.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I gave up on them after keeping them alive all winter, then summer was wet and cool they never did anything, except a few leaves. Then died the next winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I gave up on them after keeping them alive all winter, then summer was wet and cool they never did anything, except a few leaves. Then died the next winter.

I had mine in the big pond last year and my koi who leave my hardy water lilies alone destroyed the leaves. I am going to try it in the small pond this year, that only has a few little shubunkins in it and see how it does. If it struggles I am done with it. But I think the small pond may work well since its so hot and sunny with no fat koi to mess with it.

But I do worry that our "hot/sunny" season may just be too short.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A friend grows tropicals. Georgia. She says they last longer in the fall then hardies, but slower to grow in the spring. Her pond ices over once in awhile with a very thin layer of ice.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I still have one of the tropical I got from Addys friend. I kept it in a fish tank in the basement and it is doing great. Water temps of 50 or below have killed off all my other ones.
On a good note- the Turtle Island Trio hubby got me last year survived the winter in the pond and are sending up leaves.http://turtleislandwaterlilies.com/shop/2015-collectors-hxt-trio/
So glad as there is no money back guarantee!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not looked to see if my purple fantasy made it. Hope so darn pricey. Glad you trio made it mrsclem

Ask a Question