Tropical Storm / Hurricane Irene...........

Reaction score
Well, it has moved far enough east to not bother south carolina much, just along the coast could have rain, high tides and wind. Looks like the NC outer banks will get hit on the west side of the storm, which is a lot better than the eye or the east side. Still has a few days to go.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep we are florida now, nobody has boarded anything, put down shutters, lol, Weather forecast is for rain and winds, like normal. Storm coming up way east from here.
Our house in maryland just predict some rains, not even bad, but we are not near the coast.

Trying to keep my renters panic level down, she still thinks shutters need to be up.....................and she lives here .

We camped on the outer banks for weeks as a child, been chased out by a few storms, a really neat line of islands. Hope it does not get hit too hard. Many fond memories of those islands.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are in southern Md. and took a pretty good hit. We saw at least 40 houses in our neighborhood damaged by falling trees. Power was out for over 24 hours. Hubby bought me a small used generator 2 years ago to handle the pond equipment for cases like this. My neighbors think I'm crazy to not use it for the house. We can go without power but the fishies can't!
After it was all over, we checked everything out and we have almost no damage but it makes me sick to see what everybody else is dealing with.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad it didn't harm you mrsclem.

The damage is bad, the flooding up north is almost beyond comprehension. I feel so bad for everybody damaged by irene.

We did fine, just 2 inches of rain and some wind. Nothing down here in florida except for a few band showers, well at least down where we are, west palm beach area. My neighbor told us everything at our house, in maryland is fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm sooo glad to hear your place in MD is in good shape, Addy! A friend of mine lives in PA, he said they had severe flooding and rains, 6-10" in a very short period of time. It was awful, but I'm glad my friend Addy and MrsClem are doing ok!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm sooo glad to hear your place in MD is in good shape, Addy! A friend of mine lives in PA, he said they had severe flooding and rains, 6-10" in a very short period of time. It was awful, but I'm glad my friend Addy and MrsClem are doing ok!

Thanks country, we were lucky, missed us in florida, missed us in maryland. His house on the bay had no damage either. We just got back to maryland tonight, just some sun screen blew loose, ie the screw pulled out of the wall.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy I wondered what that was hanging down in front of the camera when looking at the deck pond.

Reaction score
We had about 19" of rain, that is what causes the most damage here. Wind doesn't affect us that much due to our construction in concrete plus it wasn't too huge (only Tropical Storm winds). We had no power from the utility for 4 days but we had our 20K genset take care of the house. The eye passed right over my house at about 3am, incredible how calm it was. Then it crossed the whole island and off it went to visit you guys. At least here there were no fatalities due to Irene

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
addy I wondered what that was hanging down in front of the camera when looking at the deck pond.

We put up shade screen, that side points west, keeps the sun from blaring into the sun room. It was put up sort of temporary so it pulled loose. Need to do a better attachment, but it will be pulled down over winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Glad to hear everyone made it through ok. It looks like there may be another one coming next week... Katia

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are watching that one too...........at least we got his dad's generator running, made sure they had food and water and a camp stove.
At this point they are ready.

SE18

David V
Reaction score
In N. Va. we made it through the hurricane and now with TS Lee, we're getting more rain than during the hurricane! We also made it through the earthquake, as we are not that far from epicenter (relatively speaking). I wondered if my concrete aqueduct or canal would suffer damage but so far, not even a hairline crack. I found a new visitor (hopefully a new resident). Southern Leopard Frog (in addition to my tree frogs). Tried to get photo but he's shy and jumped in the water, hiding in the plants somewhere.

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are getting so much rain here it is unbelievable ,We need it badly so don't mind getting it .The lower areas are flooding though.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Went to Hillsville flea market on sunday and they were rapping everything up just before I left to come back home .I guess they wanted out before the rains came .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are getting a slow constant rain, the perfect soaking rain. Just what we have needed.

Ask a Question