Tropical Water Lily ????

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi there,

Am successful in growing Hardy as well as Tropical Water Lilies.
All these lilies are day blooming.

Just don't understand why TROPICAL WATER LILIES(NIGHT BLOOMING) don't survive for long in my pond.

Kindly help.

Reaction score
Hi there,

Am successful in growing Hardy as well as Tropical Water Lilies.
All these lilies are day blooming.

Just don't understand why TROPICAL WATER LILIES(NIGHT BLOOMING) don't survive for long in my pond.

Kindly help.

Hi There. I'm not sure where you are located. I am in the Caribbean, Cayman Islands. I have two types of tropical lilies, one is night blooming (deep pink color) and the other is day blooming (light purple).

My purple lilies just keep going. My Pink, night blooming ones were doing great, then they basically died. I repotted the bulb (or seed, or whatever its called). Nothing. I pulled it out of my big pond and left it one side of the pond for a few days, then I needed the pot, so I took the bulb out and thought I saw some life, I threw the bulb, not potted in a small pond. I was on vacation for 3 weeks, got back and couldn't believe it! Lots of leaves. Then it went crazy in the small pond, covered the whole thing with leaves. Now about 6 months after, its dying back again.

I don't have a lot of experience, but I am guessing they must have some sort of 'season'. It seems like its a cycle.

That's all I can offer.

Hope it helps in some way.

Reaction score
Country
India
Hi There. I'm not sure where you are located. I am in the Caribbean, Cayman Islands. I have two types of tropical lilies, one is night blooming (deep pink color) and the other is day blooming (light purple).

My purple lilies just keep going. My Pink, night blooming ones were doing great, then they basically died. I repotted the bulb (or seed, or whatever its called). Nothing. I pulled it out of my big pond and left it one side of the pond for a few days, then I needed the pot, so I took the bulb out and thought I saw some life, I threw the bulb, not potted in a small pond. I was on vacation for 3 weeks, got back and couldn't believe it! Lots of leaves. Then it went crazy in the small pond, covered the whole thing with leaves. Now about 6 months after, its dying back again.

I don't have a lot of experience, but I am guessing they must have some sort of 'season'. It seems like its a cycle.

That's all I can offer.

Hope it helps in some way.

Thanks Priscilla for the info.

I am in India.

I also had the same deep pink color night blooming water lily.
And it is the one which doesn't survive for long.

Also I would like to add that I never potted the seed.
It was a ready plant that I bought from the nursery.

Is this the reason ?? Which is better, planting a seed or a ready plant ??

Thanks.

Reaction score
I also bought the plant potted and it even had a blossom on it. I think it lasted about 6 months, it did bloom during that time and then it died back. Once it 'died' I pulled the pot of the pond. That's when I let it sit there for a few weeks maybe (?). When I decided to use the pot again, I saw the 'bulb/seed' had something like a green nub coming off of it. So I put it back in a pot with just rocks weighing it down. I left it for a few weeks (no clue how many). Then I decided it was just dead and I pulled it back out of the pond. At that point I saw more green nubs, so I just threw it in a small pond. After my three week vacation there were lots of leaves. I then potted it in kitty litter (which is just clay, no nutrients) in a small pond. It did really well for 6 months again and now its died back again. It did not flower for me this time, but it is quite shaded where it is now.

I think (if its the same plant) it may just be seasonal. Mine has sort of purple leaves. (The picture in my profile is another type of night blooming lily).

Try pulling it out and just putting the seed/bulb whatever it is in water for a few weeks, see if anything happens.

Good luck. Its very frustrating!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Some folk do report struggling to get night bloom tropical waterlilies going, in good conditions.

My hunch would be the plant may have been planted where shallow water was too hot, or, after plant shock, too many new offset plants started and become self crowding

If you search the pot and find a lot of little tubers, pick a single tuber with a single sprout and pot it up for a flowering position, fertilise it good when it grows fast...

Regards, andy
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/users/adavisus.3206/

Reaction score
Country
India
An interesting thought.....

In my city, the winter temperature doesn't go below 15°C.
My water lily pond is about 3 feet wide.
Hence, using an aquarium heater to control water temperature in the pond
may save the water lily during winter.

Would that be a good option ??

Ask a Question