tropical water lilys and water temps ?

Reaction score
When is a safe time to plant out tropical water lilys ? at what water temperature ? I am in zone 7 New Jersey USA., right now my temps are between 55-60 degrees F depending on the sunshine, I know it's too early still but looking forward to getting thins going....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
65-70 degree water. I have put mine out earlier, they just grow real sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Remember water lilies grow under water so it is not air temps it is water temps .Mine have started to sprout already .Get a cheap dollar store or spend money on a floating thermometer .I have a floating one but I have those big ones the sell at the dollar store and just tied stainless steel washers to the bottom of it and have it hanging off my bridge 3 feet down into the water .I just pull it up and look at temps. of water down there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
im in central nj. my hearty water lily that overwintered in the pond already has a decent sized leaf up. I did have the pond covered with that clear plastic pvc stuff that seems to raised the temp well beyond what I thought it would. I removed that about a week ago and it seemed the temp dropped about 15 degrees. I think I lose a lot of heat to wind shear. I put my tropical ones that i overwintered in the basement out in a bucket in the shade. It seems to be doing fine.

Ask a Question