Tropical waterlilies, sprouted tubers available for trades

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I might, just might have a spare tubers of King of Siam, Barbara Barnett, Jack Wood, Southern Charm, violacea, de Lestang, General Pershing, Evelyn Randig, Miami Rose, Black Prince, Foxfire, Mannasas, Ostara, to spare for trades of interest

All enquiries please, to: (e-mail address removed)

Photo's of most of these in the photo galleries below

Regards, andy
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21940871@N06/
http://swglist.wordpress.com/

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Any intrest in a Rosa de La Noche Night Bloomer? I see two or three I may be intrested in. I also have some baby thalia Debata (The red stalk Variaty) ((Marginal))
first three pics are the night bloomer, that one pic is the only one I found during the day.
the last pic is of the Lotus, sorry wrong pic, I'll post one of the Thalia

Attachments

• 100_1551.jpg
    100_1551.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 414
  • 100_1712.jpg
    100_1712.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 397
  • 100_1713.jpg
    100_1713.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 431
  • 100_1727.jpg
    100_1727.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 434

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here is the thalia debata, large plant red stem right beside the bridge with the flower extended over head! I have about 5 babies of this plant ready for a new home.

Attachments

• 100_1688_00.jpg
    100_1688_00.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 408

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
also read while & searching pictures of some of those lily's on another site that you may be interested in La. Iris's, I have four colors available. All non-potted, would be rhizomes with leaves. I have solid yellow, Light purple, dark purple, and med. purple with yellow inside. I also have a light brown variety but no extras yet and a new miniature deep blue which I just got so no extras of those yet either but always looking for new colors, All Louisiana raised, can handle the heat! lol

BTW, I'm also looking for new marginals to add, Looking for heat tolerant low growing, and hopefully Koi tuff!!!! Need some marginals that will grow under netting, Herons and owls, aren't polite to pond keepers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Fishin and Blessed, pm's sent.

Japanese rush (Acorus gramineus variegata) would be a neat low growing marginal, it has the bonus of being more or less evergreen and creates attractive foliage to look at in the Winter months, being slow growing and tough as boots to fish grazing its a gem for a fish pond, a low growing, fish tough, well behaved aquatic plant which is evergreen

I can't think of many pond plants that would otherwise meet your criteria so well, cyperus isocladus you might like too but your photos indicate you might already have that or similar, umbrella palm

Regards, andy

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have no plants to trade..........pond to young, plants to young, maybe next year. Nice of you to offer these trades. I like the idea of the japanese rush, will look it up. Always looking for plants for my bog.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
This is what it looks like. I picked mine up from lowes on the .50 cent clearance rack. I think I bought 5, I gave two away, and planted three, they have tripled in size in a year. and look just like that all year long. Freeze and ice didn't faze them one bit except slowed down growing.

Attachments

• Acorus%20gramineus%20Variegatus.jpg
    Acorus%20gramineus%20Variegatus.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 391
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Blessed,
You wondered what its like to grow a tropical waterlily, this thread might be suitable place to mention it.

Photo shows well rooted and shooted tuber, ideal to continue to grow indoors, or plant out when pond waters are dawdling over 60°f. The tuber is about 2" long, ideal to start in warm sheltered spot, 6" deep

Being a single sprouted plant, its ideal for a flowering position, multiple sprouts on a tuber are likely to be self crowding, to choke themselves

Potting suggestions:

1) Any starter pot might be 6" wide, plain fertile dark loam soil
(Why start on small pot? well, if your climate is tricky, you might want to move precious start indoors, or in greenhouse in a hurry)

2) Wet dirt until it is smooth mud

3) Lob tuber in middle, label in pot

4) Forget about it until roots growing out of bottom of pot remind to pot it on (in about two weeks) Feel free to like small pot and be too lazy to pot it on, it will cope fine.

5) Pot on to anything like two gallon or bigger pot of nice luscious fertile mud. (If you are so inclined to push plant to sumptuous size and blooms)

6) Poke tomato spikes in once a month if you really have to double or triple blooms
(I don't know why, some folk like huge plants, blooms in masses, tsk)

7) Expect tuber to be blooming plant about 4 weeks after starting, given conditions it likes

Hope description is not overly technical :cool:

P.S. Tuber in photo is on way today, lol

Regards, andy

Attachments

• sprouted_tuber_may11.jpg
    sprouted_tuber_may11.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 363

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks fishin I will wander by lowes and see if they have any. We are in florida right now going to check out a few water garden stores.

Nice tuber andy! I stick with hardies, tropical ones don't like it here in the winter, but they sure are beautiful.

Reaction score
I received my tuber and can't wait to see if it blooms for me..of course I need Indiana weather to make up it's mind..we are in the 50's again :) Thanks Andy

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I never heard back from Andy, thought we had a trade and then nothing, I've emailed him and PM'd him. Glad you got yours. I was sure hoping on one or two myself. been waiting for him to see what he wanted. I have a few extra plants I was going to do a little offer with but I first want to complete what got started or end it if that's what he wants to do. Hopefully Andy will see this and LMK.

Reaction score
I didn't have anything to trade but I really wanted it so he sold it to me..sent it through paypal and got it a few days ago..hope he gets back to ya.

Ask a Question