troubles with pond construction

Reaction score
We just moved into a new house. And it had an old concrete pond. Well needless to say it had leaks everywhere and i tryed and tryed to fix it but i couldnt. So i got rid of it. So i now have a space that i would like to build a much deeper/larger pond.

My problems i am facing is the soil is soooo dry. i have been wetting it for days now but its just so solf, im worried that my design wont work due to cave in. I basicly want 2 ponds, 1 larger and 1 smaller. The top pond isnt going to be very big, just to maintain some plant life. But it is going to drop 90degrees into the other, creating a drop off for the water. But everytime i stand in there to do work the soil just caves in on itself. What can i do?

Reaction score
Man, I don't know. Maybe preformed ponds--they're pricey in larger sizes but they make them huge. I guess you'd dig out the hole a lot larger and then fill in around the preformed pond.

For soil treatment / management I'd check with the county extension agent if you have one. Farmers probably run into the same issue at times. Another source might be soil and conservation service. If you have a AG university in your area, they might have a department that could provide ideas. Last you could check with some civil or transportation engineering texts.

rw

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You can dig out your lower pond,and build a block wall back up to your upper pond , build your spill way at the same time

Reaction score
DrCase said:
You can dig out your lower pond,and build a block wall back up to your upper pond , build your spill way at the same time

good idea.

i wish i was working with solid clay, this soil is awsome for plants, not for a strong pond. :banghead3:
im new to all this, so i hope i dont ruin it.

Reaction score
If i took some pictures, would this help you guys understand a little more what im saying

Reaction score
edit.jpg

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
We had a guy with real loose dirt before, and he sprayed it with something like sugar water ,not sure..Maybe DrDave will remember what it was

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't recall. Maybe starch? Add flour to water and it makes paste, maybe that would work if used in moderation.

Ask a Question