Troubleshooting a Laguna pump

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I have two Max-flo 2900 pumps in my pond. I've had a horrible bloom of the clump-type algae this year, so I just assumed my pumps were clogged when the water pressure started dropping off. Yesterday I tore down both pumps to clean them. One had a good size clump of algae packed just inside the intake tube, but it did not appear to be in contact with the impeller (I assume the algae was ground up as it got sucked in?). Unfortunately, even after cleaning, I still have a greatly reduced flow from both pumps, but especially this one.

To give an idea of the difference in flow, last year I had a solid sheet of water coming out about 6" from the front of my waterfall. This year the water is simply flowing down the face of the rocks. I would estimate the actual flow rate has been cut at least in half, probably more. I have not found anything clogging up the pipes, so I have to assume the problem is in the pumps. I did not see any wear on the impeller shafts, nor anything unusual back in the area where the magnet sits.

I don't know what else to check. I need to try and inspect more of the pipe for clogs, but this is standard 2" PVC water pipe, meant to ensure that nothing can get caught through the length of the pipe. I guess I'm hoping someone knows a good trick for the Laguna's to get them reconditioned and pumping at full strength again? The pumps were just purchased new in 2011, and the decrease in flow has happened pretty quickly, just in the last 2-3 months.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just called maxflo about the 2900 I bought it was over heating and they did tell me they have trouble shooting video's on you tube .But they are sending me a new one .They have a warranty call and tell them ,don't let it go .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
did you try taking a hose and putting it on the outlet and full power and see if anything comes out the inlet .piece of gravel maybe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
sissy said:
did you try taking a hose and putting it on the outlet and full power and see if anything comes out the inlet .piece of gravel maybe
Well there's nothing inside the pump itself... like I said, I took them completely apart to clean out. However it might be worthwhile to use the hose and backflow the entire pipe just to make sure there's nothing inside. I should probably also try swapping the two pumps around and see if there's any difference on the output at the waterfall... that would also tell me if its a pump problem, or a restriction in the pipe.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
If the laguna sucked the clog into the pipe the garden house may not be enough to force it back out. Can you have the luguna pump into the suspect pipes. Agree on swapping pumps to see if the trouble follows the pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could try to put it in a bathtub of water and plug it in to see what happens .2 inch pvc would be hard to clog up .I would call in the warranty ,seems like mine was shutting itself down for no reason and then found it was getting really hot ,Shame you could not try a pressure washer to see .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Well I just checked on Amazon, and the good news is there's a 3-year warrenty on the pumps, and I bought mine 2 years ago... so I'm covered there. I ddn't have time tonight to try swapping the pumps around -- hopefully tomorrow after work. I thought about using my drain snake, but its only 25' and I have around 40' of pipe. There's a pretty obvious difference in flow between the two pipes, however, so if it IS a pipe problem rather than a pump, it will be easy to tell.

Oh, and while browssing through Amazon, I see Laguna has a new accessory for these pumps! They have a fine filter basket that goes over the intake of the pump, inside the cage. I'm considering ordering a pair of these, because my minnows are small enough to slip insdie the 1/4" holes in the cage, and I'm pretty sure I've lost some to the pump. At $10 each, they would be cheap insurance against fish loss.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have to check it out .I looked at other ones that say they fit laguna pumps

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I should have posted a link...

http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Intake-Strainer-Max-Flo-Waterfall/dp/B0017JJWVQ/

Its listed to only fit the 4200 model. I am uncertain if the 4200 has a physically different size pump in it, otherwise I would think it would fit all the other models as well. I actually want to pick up a 4200 to have as a spare and to boost my water flow during the Summer. If that happens, I can make the comparison and see how interchangeable they are.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Can't really tell by the pic they give you of it .It may be to big to fit inside the housing .Says it is 10 by 8 by 3.8 and there is not that much room inside .or does it go over the whole outside of the pump housing there ,.Does not make any sense to me

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Amazon is also selling the cages separately now, and they appear to be the same part# for all models of the Max-flo series. I may just go ahead and get one regardless, since I plan on eventually getting a 4200 anyway.

I had a chance to switch around my pumps this morning before work. It appears that both pumps are pushing out equally, and there was no difference in flow after switching the pumps around. I suppose this indicates it is more likely that there is something clogging my pipes. Looking over pictures that I just took in March, there is a huge difference in the amount of flow coming from one of the filters, and watching the water flow into the filter, it looks like barely half the flow that I see in the other filter.

Here's what it should look like:
img_7683.jpg

Now imagine that the left side is so slow that the water is just flowing down the face of the rocks without any splashing. You can also see the clump algae that I was already getting. I've been scooping huge strands of it out with the net every few days, and I know a lot of it has in fact gotten sucked through the pumps. I had a breakthrough with that today, though... I woke up to find a lot of white foam on my pond, indicating that the filter bacteria has finally kicked into gear and started breaking down the waste in the water (and hopefully the algae too).

Guess I'll pull apart the pipes at the filter tonight and see if anything is trapped.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Shdwdrgn said:
I should have posted a link...

http://www.amazon.com/Laguna-Intake-Strainer-Max-Flo-Waterfall/dp/B0017JJWVQ/

Its listed to only fit the 4200 model. I am uncertain if the 4200 has a physically different size pump in it, otherwise I would think it would fit all the other models as well. I actually want to pick up a 4200 to have as a spare and to boost my water flow during the Summer. If that happens, I can make the comparison and see how interchangeable they are.
This cage fits old-style pumps only. It has been replaced by the 'clamshell' cage on the newer models.
John

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I dont like to clean my pumps as often as the small strainer will call for

Ask a Question