Trout farm / koi pond / pond pro canada owner

Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Camrose, AB
I was surfing the web and found this forum with a great bunch of people so I thought I would join.
I have owned a trout farm growing trout indoors and outdoors for 15 years. I have built a few koi ponds and trout farms and specialize in pond and lake management. I own Ackenberry Trout Farms and Pond Pro Canada
Hope to gain and give knowledgable advice on the Garden Pond Forum :banana:
 

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Messages
5,195
Reaction score
1,601
Location
Hammond LA USA
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, please post some pics. my store owner and his son have been considering trying trout in a aquaponics system.
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Camrose, AB
Trout don't work as good as warm wate speciec because the plants grow best with 25 to 30 deg C water while the trout like the water at 15 to 20 deg c
I will post some pictures when I get a little time
:cheerful:
fishin4cars said:
Welcome aboard, please post some pics. my store owner and his son have been considering trying trout in a aquaponics system.
 
Joined
Oct 14, 2011
Messages
1,276
Reaction score
661
Location
Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska
Welcome aboard PondPro!

I looked up your businesses earlier, very nice looking websites! I browsed around and learned at least one new thing - regarding using dye in the pond water.
That's interesting in itself and makes sense. Dye the water to limit the sunlight like putting sunscreen or dark glasses on the pond!

Catfishnut
 

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Moderator
Joined
Jun 23, 2010
Messages
44,628
Reaction score
29,514
Location
Frederick, Maryland
Showcase(s):
1
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
to our happy friendly group (well most of the time we are)
 

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
2,678
Reaction score
1,100
Location
Dalhart Texas
Hardiness Zone
6a
pondpro.ca said:
I was surfing the web and found this forum with a great bunch of people so I thought I would join.
I have owned a trout farm growing trout indoors and outdoors for 15 years. I have built a few koi ponds and trout farms and specialize in pond and lake management. I own Ackenberry Trout Farms and Pond Pro Canada
Hope to gain and give knowledgable advice on the Garden Pond Forum :banana:
For the koi ponds you've built... have you done anything for biological poluation control ??

I have been considering a biological controls, that is a combination of fish species, for population control. Also, to control these guys populations, I am likely only going get one (if store doesn't know the fish gender) or 3 of them (if the gender is known) so that I do not have a population outbreak of the predator fish.

Rosey red minnows and loaches to consume the eggs. Redear or warmouth sunfish to consume the small fry. I have been told crappie or catfish will control the 4inch fish, but I don't I don't want anything that big of a predator in the pond. I would rather have a combination of species to consume the eggs and fry.

What do ya think... Do you have any recommendations ??
 
Joined
Apr 20, 2013
Messages
3
Reaction score
1
Location
Camrose, AB
We have used trout on many ponds to control too many koi or goldfish. Some fingerling suppliers can supply triploid fish (steril) so the preditors don't breed. The process is only 95 - 99% so don't get more than you need to control the goldfish etc.
I have never used species of fish to just eat the eggs such as minnows. The minnows must be sexed so they don't multiply and take over your pond.
Lorne
crsublette said:
For the koi ponds you've built... have you done anything for biological poluation control ??

I have been considering a biological controls, that is a combination of fish species, for population control. Also, to control these guys populations, I am likely only going get one (if store doesn't know the fish gender) or 3 of them (if the gender is known) so that I do not have a population outbreak of the predator fish.

Rosey red minnows and loaches to consume the eggs. Redear or warmouth sunfish to consume the small fry. I have been told crappie or catfish will control the 4inch fish, but I don't I don't want anything that big of a predator in the pond. I would rather have a combination of species to consume the eggs and fry.

What do ya think... Do you have any recommendations ??
 

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
2,678
Reaction score
1,100
Location
Dalhart Texas
Hardiness Zone
6a
pondpro.ca said:
We have used trout on many ponds to control too many koi or goldfish. Some fingerling suppliers can supply triploid fish (steril) so the preditors don't breed. The process is only 95 - 99% so don't get more than you need to control the goldfish etc.
I have never used species of fish to just eat the eggs such as minnows. The minnows must be sexed so they don't multiply and take over your pond.
Lorne
Extremely interesting. How big of a goldfish would a trout consume??
 

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Joined
Oct 23, 2011
Messages
2,678
Reaction score
1,100
Location
Dalhart Texas
Hardiness Zone
6a
I suppose, if I do go the crappie or trout route, then I would just have to make sure my comet gold fish get big enough so they do not get eaten by the crappie or trout!! ;)

Hmmm, don't know. Doing a bit of reading here and noticing how big of a mouth there is on a 3 foot farm raised pond trout. Crazy!! I bet they can eat some big gold fish. I think if I came to that then I would rather have crappie since I think they only get up to around 20". Not for sure.

I have asked a few folk about this subject and few tend to have much to say.

Lorne, a definite big
howdycowboy-1_zpse58e073e.gif
from Texas. :banana:

Lorne, I would definitely love to hear your thoughts on the difference between a crappie and a trout for goldfish population control.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Forum statistics

Threads
31,216
Messages
514,077
Members
13,467
Latest member
ElJocko1947

Latest Threads

Top