Trying to figure out what I am seeing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there. New here so hope to be posting in the right place. Will be posting some pond pics soon. Right now I have an issue and am trying to identify what I am seeing and if there is any need for concern. All of my fish are fine. Not seeing to be terribly hungry yet. Maybe the weird weather. I am seeing the larvae on the intake of my skimmer. They don’t look like mosquitoes to me but could be wrong. Would appreciate any thoughts. Looking forward to ready more in the forums and hoping to connect with anyone local.

C5D98370-6DE9-46A6-9FD0-E499C7810B76.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There's some kind of fly that hatches larva in pond water. We get them every year, but I can't think of the name. Looks similar... let me see if I can figure it out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow. So fast! Thanks all! Glad to know nothing to worry about. I don’t remember seeing them in the past but nothing to worry about is great. As long as I can keep the water as crystal clear as it is now I will be thrilled. A fight sometimes but can’t imagine not having a pond :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I think it's just black fly - too easy to remember. Here's an interesting article:

Very interesting. Will have to see what I find when I clean the pads in the waterfall this weekend. Sounds pretty gross. Maybe this explains my fishes lack of appetite! Their tummies are full! Lol!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Definitely black fly larvae. They are usually found in moving water such as streams. Where I come from (upstate New York) we always knew that when the maple leaves are the size of a half dollar we are in for the dreaded hatch.

Ask a Question