Trying to figure out what type of filter to use!

Reaction score
Ok well i own a pool company and have been looking around and trying to figure out if i can use a pool pump and pool sand filter as my filtering for a pond im building.

If i cant use a sand filter could i use a cartridge filter?

I will also be insatilling a UV Sterilizer to help with algae growth.

anyone use them or any advice on it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! they do like you to post in the introduction thread first.

A pool sand filter media is too fine for a pond it will clog constantly. I am not sure if a cartridge filter will work, if it is for a pool it would probably clog fast also.

Some have used pool filters but changed out the media.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome... and would you please post an introduction in the introduction thread.

Are you a UNC fan living in UK country?????

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome :lol: They like you to post your first post in the introduction thread so we can all give you a five star welcome :lol:
Then you can post away to your little hearts content :lol:
I've heard people talk about the pool filters and some say they clog too fast w/ all the fish gunk. Same w/ cartridges I believe. You'd be better off building a DIY filter version that would be much more efficient and easier to maintain and you can find them here in the DIY section of the forum. They aren't hard to build either and you will get all the help you need here to do it.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
koidaddy said:
Pool stuff wont work for a pond as it need to run 24/7, well a skimmer will work.

I will add this here also for you.

The problem with pool stuff is a pond needs to run 24/7, it will cost you a fortune in electric cost to run a pool pump. I would not use a pressurized system. There are better DIY options for filters over sand and cartridge. I couldnt stand the maintainace with my pool with the cartridge filter. I couldn't even imange what a pita it would be on a pond.

Reaction score
Yes you can use a pool pump but it will not be as energy efficient as one designed for a pond that runs 24/7.

The sand filter can be used but as others stated it is a pain and you would have to clean it daily. Same with cartridge filters. However you can modify one and add diffent media to work as a filter. But since most are so small it usually isn't big enough to work on a pond. Most people take sand filters and turn them into bead filters with a reversed flow. But they don't use them as a biological or mechanical filter. They use them more for a fines filter at the very end of thier set up.

Ask a Question