Tub Pond in Hawaii

Have you ever heard of a tub pond that can be easily drained and filled for people fun?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_5892.JPG

I live in Hawaii and a guy came by who wanted to buy two of my coconut trees. One for three hundred dollars and the other for two hundred fifty. I said, "sure!" He leveled the holes out and now I am faced with what to do with them. I bought a tree to replace the palms and so far that is about all I have done. The land is all lava rock and impossible to dig.

I want to do something without spending any money or even getting help. Im toying with the idea of making a shallow tub. It would be just big enough for two and could be filled with water from the hose that would drain off into the lava after use.

Im thinking of ribar and cement with a mosaic finish. I was thinking I could do a little at a time as I gradually made the tub big enough to float and play in. I know my granddaughter would love it. I would too. I could put a little solar fountain in one corner for some sound.

Ive planted some flowers around the edge of the hole and I think a few stairs going down into the tub would be nice. I think I will just keep the other hole as a garden as it is not so deep.
IMG_5910.JPG

Thanks for any input and Ill keep you posted.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice hole to start with! Looks like a nice project. You will want to be able to filter the water or drain it easily to keep it clean
Welcome to our group!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome your biggest obstacle will lava rock .Any liner will not hold up to that unless you can put a lot of sand in the hole and get rid of most of the lava rock as it can be sharp .How stable is the ground that you can do rebar and cement .A shallow fountain type would be pretty there .But knowing the cost could be pretty high for you there .I had a preformed one at my house in NJ .It was 2 feet deep and was square and had another one inside of it like a huge bird bath .Wish I had taken pics of it .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I havent done much but put a little puff tree, some bamboo and poinsettias around the edge. I have some old rusty rods that might be able to add some support.
IMG_7050.JPG

View attachment 95333

I live in Hawaii and a guy came by who wanted to buy two of my coconut trees. One for three hundred dollars and the other for two hundred fifty. I said, "sure!" He leveled the holes out and now I am faced with what to do with them. I bought a tree to replace the palms and so far that is about all I have done. The land is all lava rock and impossible to dig.

I want to do something without spending any money or even getting help. Im toying with the idea of making a shallow tub. It would be just big enough for two and could be filled with water from the hose that would drain off into the lava after use.

Im thinking of ribar and cement with a mosaic finish. I was thinking I could do a little at a time as I gradually made the tub big enough to float and play in. I know my granddaughter would love it. I would too. I could put a little solar fountain in one corner for some sound.

Ive planted some flowers around the edge of the hole and I think a few stairs going down into the tub would be nice. I think I will just keep the other hole as a garden as it is not so deep. View attachment 95334
Thanks for any input and Ill keep you posted.
Nice hole to start with! Looks like a nice project. You will want to be able to filter the water or drain it easily to keep it clean
Welcome to our group!

Thanks for the support. I want to be able to drain it easily. The lava is very porous so if there is just a hole in the pond it will go down into the ground easily and I can put a simple plug in it to keep it in for people play. It is a nice hole!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would not use bamboo .It can get way out of control and the spikes could hurt when stepped on .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would not use bamboo .It can get way out of control and the spikes could hurt when stepped on .
Good point.. I was thinking of it for privacy but I think I may have to move it away from the pond. Thank you!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
welcome your biggest obstacle will lava rock .Any liner will not hold up to that unless you can put a lot of sand in the hole and get rid of most of the lava rock as it can be sharp .How stable is the ground that you can do rebar and cement .A shallow fountain type would be pretty there .But knowing the cost could be pretty high for you there .I had a preformed one at my house in NJ .It was 2 feet deep and was square and had another one inside of it like a huge bird bath .Wish I had taken pics of it .

I was thinking of a couple cement boards laid down and then cement on top of that...hmmmm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Im on the Big Island and I have a big water tank and catchment system.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You must be Hilo side then. Ha, that's where I am from. You can probably rig a way to fill it from your catchment depending on how far it is from the puka.
Welcome to the forum!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The other option is to use it for a pondless waterfall depending on how big it is and how much work you want to put into it.
The pain will be keeping it clean.

Ask a Question