Tubing for pump?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi All,
I'm in the process of setting up a small (125 gal) garden pond. While doing my research I have discovered that most of the corrugated pond pump tubing available at Lowes, Home Depot and Amazon have dismal ratings as many are described as being very rigid and then turning brittle and springing leaks after just a few months.

My question is this: Can I use a different type of hose/tubing? I plan to add plants and goldfish but not Koi so I don't know if that affects my choices. Also, with this being a small pond I will only need 10-15 feet of the stuff.

Thanks!
David

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You can, I bought some 1 1/2 clear plastic tubing from Lowes for a fountain, it was just super expensive. I've had my black tubing going strong for almost a year now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look in the plumbing section as it is much cheaper and will last long enough to use on a smaller pond .I have been usiing sump pump hose for over 8 years now .10 dollars and same hose .I have not had to buy new .It is to big for your pond but it can show you what is available .First pond I bought hose at a plumbing supply store and it was 7 dollars for black rubber hose and it was 30 feet long and they had 5 feet and up for cheaper .Looked just like the rubber hose they sell for ponds .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Do you have a pump/filtration system picked out yet? Depending on the design of your pump, since your pond is fairly small, you could go with something like this 1/2" diameter tubing.
They sell this at a Home Depot and Lowe's (though this is an ad from Dr. Fosters & Smith). You want something designed to be used outdoors (due to UV exposure).

IMG_9310.jpg

I get small stainless steel hose clamps to hold them in place.
IMG_9311.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The ones I bought at plumbing supply are uv resistant they are used for wells and filters for wells and pressure tanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks all! The pump arrived yesterday and naturally it has a 1/2" fitting and my waterfall has a 1" fitting. I have purchased the tubing, reducer and clamps so weather permitting I'll be up and running this weekend.

Ask a Question