Tubing Size?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have a Pondmaster 950gph submersible pump, and it has 3/4" threads built on it for the output. Is 3/4" the best size tubing that I should use for this pump, or should I consider going to a larger size? I am currently using 3/4" tubing, but was wondering if I would get more flow for my waterfall by going to a 1" tubing, or would a bigger hose be better? Also, if it is worth going bigger, what type connectors do you get to connect to a bigger hose?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can use a large size, but never ever go smaller. By going a larger size, then you will significantly reduce your friction loss. Friction loss is a variable that reduces your pump's true flow rate capability from traveling through the pipe.

You will not get more flow than 950gph, but you will get flow closer to 950gph out of a 1" tubing versus a 3/4" tubing due to the reduced friction loss in the 1" tubing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Great to hear, and thank you for your reply crsublette. I will try a 1" hose this fall when it cools down here when I plan on re building the waterfall and moving my filter in it.

What is needed to make a 3/4" fitting from the pump fit to 1" tubing?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If the tubing is ribbed, then there will be a much higher friction loss than a normal smooth tubbing.

Oh, likely any pvc adapter to a 1" barbed hose adapter. If ya have a tough time sliding the tubing over the barbs, then ya can lubricate it with silicone or grind down the first rib a little.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have ribbed tubing atm. The reason I got it was for less chance of collapsing or getting pinched. When I had an aquarium, I used smooth tubing. Would clear or black tubing be better for an outside pond?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I would think black tubing would absorb more heat from the sun. I guess clear and black would ok as long as it was covered with something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thank you for the help. I will look into getting black poly pipe. I will have to figure out a way to cover it or bury it since black will get hot here.

Ask a Question