Tula's BBB ( baby bog build )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We turned the bog off today. I wish the water level was slightly higher, it's just beneath the surface of the pea gravel.....hoping the plants make it. We finished covering the pond - so ugly , but cozy ! Still running the sand & gravel filter. Also a picture of Cha Cha, I'll miss seeing her every day.

IMG_3040.jpg
fullsizeoutput_2349.jpeg
IMG_3051.jpg
IMG_3052.jpg
IMG_3053.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Tula they sell those tarps in all colors mainly green and camo are the next most popular

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula they sell those tarps in all colors mainly green and camo are the next most popular
Most of the pond is covered with a pool solar cover and the shortage is covered by those tarps. The one over the skimmer area is just till I get a new one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
have you ever left it uncovered and just run a large air stone or heater?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it's just beneath the surface of the pea gravel.
By the time the little bit of surface water dries up my bog has mainly water below the gravel. Some areas no water, some a bit under, nothing dies! It all comes back explosively in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
have you ever left it uncovered and just run a large air stone or heater?
I did that for many years, this is only the 3rd or 4th time I've covered it. The reason I decided to try covering it was based on some science posted on a koi forum, discussing wind chill and evaporation. Since my pond is only 1700 gallons and has 4 adult koi, I decided to give it a try.

I've been pleased with the results. The pond doesn't freeze over and when I peek in on them, the koi are more active then when I left it uncovered. They're not moving swiftly, but they move around slowly, and before they remained under the granite slab in the deepest section of the pond.

It is also my OPINION, that larger koi, need supplemental O2 during the winter, ( at least in my relatively small pond ) that a deicer alone isn't sufficient. I add 4 airstones, distributed around the pond and also run a Pond Breather once the weather turns very cold.

I detest how ugly the set up is, but am pleased with the results. The first year I tried it we had an old blue solar cover and that's what we used. Last year hubby ordered a new cover while I was out of town...and it's blue, I would have preferred a clear cover to allow some sunlight. If we have a warm sunny spell during the winter, I peel back the cover mid afternoon, so they can enjoy some sunshine.

Sorry for the novel like response :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
By the time the little bit of surface water dries up my bog has mainly water below the gravel. Some areas no water, some a bit under, nothing dies! It all comes back explosively in the spring.
That is what I'm hoping for. Hubby designed the bog with a very slight tilt towards the spill way, which is why is stays just under the gravel. I'm hopeful some plants will survive and I can't wait for Spring :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am sure you can get more plants from where you got your first dose, in the spring ;);)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wish my pond looked prettier in the winter too, but I am like you - I would rather that the fish make it. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wish my pond looked prettier in the winter too, but I am like you - I would rather that the fish make it. ;)
Do you cover your pond? I'm thinking a clear cover would look a tad better then the bright blue - LOL I teased my hubby saying he could build a cute structure to keep my sand & gravel filter covered and of course it would need to be heated......then perhaps some type of charming structure to cover the pond - LOL!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
No, I still haven't put a cover on it. But I have boards across the pond to hold up the net because when we get that heavy wet snow the net is weighed down into the water. Then I have the pond breather cord and aerator cord draped over the boards. Then flower pots turned over to cover the aerator pump and the extra electrical cords. Then there are bricks holding the net and cords into place. It all looks a little untidy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
No, I still haven't put a cover on it. But I have boards across the pond to hold up the net because when we get that heavy wet snow the net is weighed down into the water. Then I have the pond breather cord and aerator cord draped over the boards. Then flower pots turned over to cover the aerator pump and the extra electrical cords. Then there are bricks holding the net and cords into place. It all looks a little untidy!
Oh yes, I understand......well you saw my mess! I trash picked a small structure a few years ago.....it may have been built for a child. I painted it forest green and call it my pond shack, my electric air pump etc, is all in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
First little snow fall of the season! We planted these 6 Giant Green Arborvitaes this summer and they look pretty dusted in snow:)

The bog , however, does NOT look pretty ! High of 25 today.

IMG_3065.jpg
IMG_3067.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a beautiful bog!
Giant Green Arborvitaes
Those trees grow very nicely................but our deer love them, eat them down as high as they can reach. They look like green p....s (male part) when they are done grooming them.

Ask a Question