Turn off waterfall at night ?

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have built a 1000 gallon pond with koi,comet goldfish and turtles.
Now the waterfall kinda disturbed my mom so she asked me to shut down the waterfall during the night,can I turn it off during the night without effecting the fish?
Can I do something to protect them during the night without a stream?
Please help,thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you have other filtration besides the waterfall and stream? My stream only runs around 4 hours a day, but my main filtration is running 24/7.

Reaction score
I have bio falls that of course a part of the waterfall and I have the pressure filter (bp1500-uv) that send the water to the waterfall.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So your filtration is all part of the waterfall. It would not be good for your fish to turn off the filtration for the night. Can you have a T where you send the water to the waterfall during the day, then to pond during the night, skipping the waterfall?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It must be a loud waterfall. I like hearing our waterfall at night. It helps mute the sounds of the cars on the nearby roads and the airplanes flying over us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wish I could hear ours at night! My pump is adjustable with a remote; you can dial it down to almost nothing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
In reality filters should be run 365 days a year if and where ever possible , isnt there some way you can add a by pass system so that at night your water fall can safely be turned off without doing damage to your bio filter

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We love the sound of ours, too. But there are ways to modify waterfalls so they are less "noisy". @Alon Y amin can you post a picture of your falls? Maybe there are some modifications you can try to naturally quiet the flow.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
scan0001 (2).jpg
If you install a "T"and a couple ballvalves behind it you can adjust the flow to the falls and a back to pond diverted flow setup. Now if you're going to kill flow completely to the bio falls, at least run an aerator in it to keep it active with oxygen and water movement. This will aid in keeping a healthy bio colony in it. With the ballvalve you can keep a lower quiter flow going thru as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
With the ballvalve you can keep a lower quiter flow going thru as well.

Off the subject but we have a few ball valves installed in our plumbing set up, and those things are IMPOSSIBLE to turn! I have an absolute fit every time I have to make an adjustment. Anyone else have that issue? (These are the PVC ones - if we ever have to replace them, I'm using brass!)

Ask a Question