Turning my pond into an Aquaponics Garden - Advice

Reaction score
I am thinking about turning my little pond into an Aquaponics Garden. My pond is roughly 5 & 1/2 Feet deep by 5 feet wide & long. Right now, I have Koi, Goldfish, Blue Gill, Bass & Catfish in my pond. I live near the Dallas, TX area and was thinking about raising Tilapia in the pond as well. Can they survive temperatures below freezing? Has anyone else tried this? Or should I just sticking to raising the Catfish & Bass since they are native to the area anyway. This Spring I will be adding on a 50 gallon reservoir & area for the veggies to go.

As I understand it, I will pump the water from the bottom of the pond, into the reservoir. Let the water drain from the reservoir to the plants, then return the water to the pond.

If anyone has tried this, let me know if I'm on the right track. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin

Reaction score
Thanks, I will post pics when I'm done. It's not too pretty right now, but functional. :)

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll check it out. Here's an old pic of what I'm working with right now. I'm removed the waterfall & just have a hose aerating the pond right now in anticipation of this spring for the aquaponic garden. I know its not too pretty, I built this quite awhile back, not knowing anything about ponds, but through much trial & error, at least it functional. LOL

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Tilapia are a warm water fish. Likely will not survive the winter temperatures in your location.

There is a little more to aquaponics than just the physical configuration of the water flow. Most garden vegetables prefer a slightly acidic soil (ph 6.5 - 7.0), so the pH will have to be monitored and controlled. There are other considerations. I would suggest doing more research via Google or Bing on the water chemistry requirements etc. of a successful aquaponics system.

Reaction score
Tilapia are definitely warm water fish. I have one in my pond, he thinks he's a koi now! As I understand it the main draw to using tilapia is their ability to produce waste and to multiply to produce even more waste. They are VERY hardy fish in the tropics, but the ideal temp for them is something in the 80's, I think I read they slow down at 75 degrees and die in 50degrees.

If you have koi, gold fish and cat fish you should be getting enough 'fertilizer' to get your garden going.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Reaction score
Tilapia are a warm water fish. Likely will not survive the winter temperatures in your location.

There is a little more to aquaponics than just the physical configuration of the water flow. Most garden vegetables prefer a slightly acidic soil (ph 6.5 - 7.0), so the pH will have to be monitored and controlled. There are other considerations. I would suggest doing more research via Google or Bing on the water chemistry requirements etc. of a successful aquaponics system.

Well drat, It usually gets down to at least the single digits during the winter. Guess I'll have to tell the wifey no to her Tilapia idea. Thanks!

Reaction score
Tilapia are definitely warm water fish. I have one in my pond, he thinks he's a koi now! As I understand it the main draw to using tilapia is their ability to produce waste and to multiply to produce even more waste. They are VERY hardy fish in the tropics, but the ideal temp for them is something in the 80's, I think I read they slow down at 75 degrees and die in 50degrees.

If you have koi, gold fish and cat fish you should be getting enough 'fertilizer' to get your garden going.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

I definitely have enough fish already in there for "fertilizer". My wife just doesn't like Catfish or Bass which is usually what I get out for the grill. She wanted me try to raise something she would like & I think Tilapia is the only fresh water fish she will eat. There's just such a difference at least in catfish from store bought versus straight out of the pond. Can't stand store bought catfish anymore. Once winter is over & Spring gets here, I will start the modifications. Thanks!

Reaction score
Well drat, It usually gets down to at least the single digits during the winter. Guess I'll have to tell the wifey no to her Tilapia idea. Thanks!

I have the one in my pond, he was my 'test' fish when I first started the pond. Then I couldn't catch him to take him out. At first he used to try to eat my other fish, but after time they have all settled into together. He feeds with them and even comes up to my hand when I feed the other fish.

I couldn't dream of eating him! He's like a pet now. Not an attractive fish though. My friend farms them.

Reaction score
I have the one in my pond, he was my 'test' fish when I first started the pond. Then I couldn't catch him to take him out. At first he used to try to eat my other fish, but after time they have all settled into together. He feeds with them and even comes up to my hand when I feed the other fish.

I couldn't dream of eating him! He's like a pet now. Not an attractive fish though. My friend farms them.

I use my pond more as a Fish Garden. I got the Koi & Goldfish just to add a little color since all our local fish are soo dull..... I was really afraid they wouldn't get along, but to my surprise they leave each other alone. I usually go to the local pet store once a week & buy 100 small goldfish to use as feeder fish. Hopefully that has been keeping them full enough not to bother the larger goldfish & Koi. I take the kids down to the local pond & fish out Bass & Catfish & bring home (to fatten them up.. LOL) Till we are ready to cook them up. Gotta love fresh fish!

Reaction score
Draylis,

For your aquaponics endeavors, try researching Paul Van Der Werf's web site earthangroup.com.au (unfortunately the site is currently down for maintenance) but you can find many of his videos on youtube without going to the Earthan Group's site itself. You will find a LOT of useful tips here and through the related links that your browsing will lead you to.

Catfishnut

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

Meyer is right on the money here.
PH control is the biggest issue with aquaponics.
Really do your research on different media for the beds before you set it up.
I'm using expanded clay for my plant beds and it is a challenge to keep PH low enough.
I would not recommend trying to control PH with chemical supplements.

Ask a Question