Turning off pond during cold weather

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Yes I know for you Yankees 21 for a low is laughable but for us down here its pandemonium:)

My question is should I turn off the pumps or let the water flow if it gets that low?

Here is my setup. Piping is 2 inches except at the bead filter where its 1.5. I also have a skimmer pump.

20160806_173911_zpshpucubj3.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It depends on how long it remains at that temperature.
(actually, another Texan, Big Lou has been in colder temperatures than I have been. He's experienced -70, :eek: I've only experienced -50....)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
It depends on how long it remains at that temperature.
(actually, another Texan, Big Lou has been in colder temperatures than I have been. He's experienced -70, :eek: I've only experienced -50....)

Its only going to last at night and only for 2 days

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Could you wrap insulation around your filter and put pipe insulation over your hoses .The just in case ,plus during hot weather it will help keep the water in the hoses cooler .I use pipe insulation on mine

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Could you wrap insulation around your filter and put pipe insulation over your hoses .The just in case ,plus during hot weather it will help keep the water in the hoses cooler .I use pipe insulation on mine

Just finished :)

20161207_171714_zps5j15tcj9.jpg

What concerns me the most is the water feeder line because its all through a garden hose. (the light green). Can that stay on?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can even wrap your filter in insulation with bubble wrap .Even hose can be wrapped in it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What's a Yankee?

I'm a yankee up in Long Island so we get Arctic blasts, some lasting weeks though last year was mild. If your water is flowing in 1-1/2 & 2'
PVC, it won't freeze if you have a cold spell a few days, even a week as your water temp has to drop also. That in itself will take days.
I used to run my bio similar to yours with a manifold, a skimmer & main drain all winter with one 1500 watt deicer on a digital controller I built.
I had the deicer sit directly at the skimmer entrance. In the coldest of years, my pond didn't even freeze over. It's 4 ft deep.

Now I just rum my Savio with a 1000 watt deicer in front which goes back through my water fall. It filters all winters, stays crystal clear and never freezes. The bio system is drained and blown out. Skimmer circulates through fall only as main drain is also off. I doubt you go down to 20F and that would be a short burst, right?

I'd say, you're good to go !!!

Ask a Question