Turning the pump off

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I know some people turn their pumps off for the winter, but can somebody tell me if there's a good rule of thumb for exactly when to turn it back on? Also, should I leave it on when it freezes to keep the pipes from bursting?

We get freezing temps some nights, but in between cold snaps we can have spring and even summery temps again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I run my pumps 24/7/365
When cold weather comes I turn the bypass valve from waterfall to a return that is underwater in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Justjack you really need to go by pond temperature, not outside air temperature. Usually the pond temps will not fluctuate as much. Once the pond temps go below 50 degrees consistently the beneficial bacteria in your bio filter will die off and the pump isn't doing much other than to keep the water from freezing assuming you stopped feeding the fish. I turn mine off when the temps go into the 30's because those temps aren't good for the pump and also it disturbs the warmer water at the bottom. If your temps are over 40 degrees you can probably follow DoDad's advice. Start up is the opposite. You can turn it on when the water gets consistently into the 40-50 degree. range. You want to cycle your pond and build up the good bacteria before you start feeding them.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
DoDad, that's a good idea, but I don't know if mine has a bypass valve.

Water temps have been right around 35-40 so I had turned the pump off, but then it warmed up again and the water got back up to 52, but I left it off because we're expecting a hard freeze tonight. Crazy weather we've been having. How long does it take to build up the beneficial bacteria again?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Justjack, it could take 3-6 weeks to get your pond fully cycled in the spring. The beneficial bacteria are part of a properly cycled pond. There is lots of stuff on the forum to read if you search cycling. It's a little different for every pond based on size of the pond, filtration,quantity and size of your fish, and other factors. The best thing is to buy a test kit so you know whats going on. Re hard freeze, I keep a small air pump feeding air though an airstone about 6-10 inches below the surface so I doesn't get totally frozen over.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I do have a test kit to keep tabs on things. We moved here last November and we were told we had to run the pump all the time, but then I kept finding information online about winterizing and then I found this forum and I've gotten tons of info already.

I have a small waterfall not connected to the pump that I keep running so it won't freeze over. It's supposed to be freezing for several days and then spring temps again for the rest of the week. Since I do have that small waterfall running into the koi pond, do I need an airstone as well?

Reaction score
You shouldn't need to change anything in the climate you're in, ever. I almost never have to and I'm in central PA! It takes a long cold streak to cause major freezing, 30's during the day and teens at night over a several week period isn't even enough to cause me to have to shut anything down or follow any winterizing steps. You should be fine.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I only turn mine off when the water gets a slush layer on it , and its still going to stay cold for a few more days ..
17 deg this morning and i only have a little ice around the falls, Im not thinking of shutting down any time soon

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for all the help! I guess that means we're taking apart the deck when it warms up a little this week. I can't turn the pump back on until we find the leak and fix it and the pipes are apparently underneath the deck. Just my luck, it didn't start leaking like that until Thanksgiving weekend--just before it got cold.

JustJack

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
Maybe I can sweet talk the neighbor into helping. :lol: Kitchen faucet sprang a real good leak this morning so he came over and helped my husband put a new one in. The biggest problem is that he (hubby) had 2 knee surgeries very recently and can't get up and down the steps to the deck that the pipes are under. And can't get back up once he gets down to fix it! Thank God for great neighbors!

Reaction score
I'm so confused! My pond had thawed on Sunday when it was 60 here. It was in the 30s yesterday and teens last night and now it's completely frozen over, about 1/2" thick, except for about 6" in front of the falls. Should I shut down the pump in case the pond itself freezes completely in front of the falls and the water winds up splashing out? Or just leave it going and assume it won't freeze too much for the water to still have an entrance back into the pond itself? The bubbler didn't keep a hole in the ice overnight and so I put a heater in this morning but it's not near the falls. I'm afraid if this keeps up my fish will be frozen solid by January. :lol:
Beth

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
if it was my pump i would turn it off unless you can by pass the falls how deep is your pond ? if its deep enough the fish will be allright just keep your heater on to keep a hole in the ice

Ask a Question