Turtle baskin isle or "floating log"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi, was a bit that got this thing in my mind nd this morning i had some time so made it

In this part of the year can find easily bark cork used to make Xmas things...so I found some packages at 50%off and decided to create..
20211224_100546.jpg

You just need bark(of course) warning, only natural one, no adds on it, some wood spines(made from bbq sticks) and a drill+a pen to mark...
After found the shape i started to make holes for the spines and mark opposite side...
20211224_100946.jpg
20211224_103436.jpg

Then fill the holes with glue gun and wait till is solid...and all is done.

This Is finished log, alrdy into pond and I will check over the winter how it will work.
Added some moss in the space and some pieces of creeping genny.

We will see...
20211224_114738.jpg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat! Great idea. I have a ton of bark coming off a huge maple that died. Very natural since it is off my tree, going to go and snag some and try it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi, was a bit that got this thing in my mind nd this morning i had some time so made it

In this part of the year can find easily bark cork used to make Xmas things...so I found some packages at 50%off and decided to create..
View attachment 145700
You just need bark(of course) warning, only natural one, no adds on it, some wood spines(made from bbq sticks) and a drill+a pen to mark...
After found the shape i started to make holes for the spines and mark opposite side...View attachment 145701View attachment 145702
Then fill the holes with glue gun and wait till is solid...and all is done.

This Is finished log, alrdy into pond and I will check over the winter how it will work.
Added some moss in the space and some pieces of creeping genny.

We will see...View attachment 145703
prolly can add forget me not or other creeping plants...if got bigger space prolly other bog plants nd making a floating isle...but need check how will work after water will soak it

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am thinking of putting it around the edge of the hot tub pond, help in hiding it. So partly in the water partly out. And a few of my small ponds where it is hard to hide the edges.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I am thinking of putting it around the edge of the hot tub pond, help in hiding it. So partly in the water partly out. And a few of my small ponds where it is hard to hide the edges.
was the next step...hiddin edges of pond...but 1st of all wanted the isle...you find alrdy by yourself, using to hide edges

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
I put in a floating isle and the heron used it as a landing pad to snack on fish, made it smaller and it still landed and snacked.
damn...for luck my pond is full netted so no problem for that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very good @Dimelius looks like a fun project and hope it does great in your pond! I have a net also covering my whole pond and a fence down below the net edge. Attached it all together and so far so good! The heron come to visit but they only get a looky and then fly away in frustration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
i wish i will not have any heron this spring/summer, but river is 500meters from my house...so prolly will be :( for that i will net everything

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How neat! Great idea. I have a ton of bark coming off a huge maple that died. Very natural since it is off my tree, going to go and snag some and try it.
don't bother, Boss; trust me, done did and didn't last. You need cork bark, like Dime has shown. It'll last a lot longer. The maple stuff will soak up water and then it'll lie low in the water. Any turtle (or other creature) climbing up will lower it even more. And I bet I didn't get a season out of it. C O R K B A R K. That's what you use.

Btw, Dime, that's a good load of bark; think it cost me like $25-$35 for that much. More expensive than I'd have thought but I ordered from a reptile supply place, so maybe that's the markup. When I was looking, it wasn't the holiday season; I may have to go visting a craft store this week and stock up. I used to have smaller (not large enough for turtles basking, esp 4 of them) pieces for orchids. Cobbled up some together and put them on a styrofoam base. That was MY cork floaty v1. This last is ONE piece, approx 12" by 20", so enough for turtle growth in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
prolly can add forget me not or other creeping plants...if got bigger space prolly other bog plants nd making a floating isle...but need check how will work after water will soak it
eventually, the cork WILL take on water but it makes it last shorter lifespan. Now, if you can get a small reservoir of water inside the main body of the cork, something you can dangle forgetmenot roots into, it can work. Btw, what was the wood sticks for?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
you can also use coco coir; I did this and it works. You make a strip that you can underlay the edge, like under a rock, then dangle the lower part over your liner. I cut the bottom in random pattern to break up the 'straight' edge look. Eventually, it'll soak and deteriorate but it lasts a bit. I had some sedum take root and the coir sucked up water for them. Have your bottom edge under the water for wicking purposes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
damn...for luck my pond is full netted so no problem for that.
it's about the only way to guarantee you don't go out and start wondering why no fish come when you call their names...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
eventually, the cork WILL take on water but it makes it last shorter lifespan. Now, if you can get a small reservoir of water inside the main body of the cork, something you can dangle forgetmenot roots into, it can work. Btw, what was the wood sticks for?
wood sticks used to glue all...

Ask a Question