Turtle feeding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well, my yellow bellied slider has not left the pond after 3 weeks so I will continue to feed him since my pond is small and I am not sure he would get enough nourishment otherwise. My question for anyone that has aquatic turtles in their pond is what do you feed yours and how often? I have been feeding parsley, ReptoMin, Mazuri aquatic turtle diet pellets, and Flukers medley treats (freeze dried mealworms, river shrimp, crickets) Any other suggestions? I don't want to overfeed but he seems to dive right in when I put these foods in his feeding circle (about 18" diameter round floating 3/4" tube to keep the food from drifting away) Should he be fed twice a day and if so, about how much ?(his shell is about 5" long)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Adult turtles usually are fed once every other day, hatchlings/juveniles fed once every day. I feed mine about what they can eat in a few minutes. My turtles eat just about every day though as they eat the fish pellets as well as the turtle specific sticks/pellets) so they are never lacking for food. I try to specifically target feed them every other day, though.

I also feed my turtles a lot of meaty fare
(blue crab/mussel/clams/fish) on occasion from their natural habitat, but these foods are specific to the species of turtle I keep.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice once again jhn...I am lucky to have you on this forum to help me understand my turtles needs...I will cut down on feeding him (I was feeding twice a day) There is a lot of info on the internet but it is always best to know you are getting good advice:)

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Once they get used to you, they become inveterate beggars. I usually feed twice a day, an amount of pellets about half the size of their head in the summer. Inside for winter and cooler days, usually once a day. Mine do not have other greenery in their tubs to snack on besides what I throw in.

How are your lily leaves holding up? If not being eaten, he/she ? is definitely getting enough food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
This is interesting JRS for my lily leaves have been munched on but a little less since I have put in the parsley and water celery which it seems like he/she loves:) I have ordered 3 gallons of anacharis since reading that they love to eat that also:) Is it true that as they age they need less protein and more plant based food?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
They are gluttonous if given the chance so no surprise they are keeping after the lily leaves. Yes regarding the protein and sliders. Once they get their growing done there is less of a need. Many turtle foods have a growth formula for young turtles and a maintenance formula for adults with less protein. Like us they are healthier with more salad. :) Should not be an issue for you considering your natural environment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
They are gluttonous if given the chance so no surprise they are keeping after the lily leaves. Yes regarding the protein and sliders. Once they get their growing done there is less of a need. Many turtle foods have a growth formula for young turtles and a maintenance formula for adults with less protein. Like us they are healthier with more salad. :) Should not be an issue for you considering your natural environment.

I love this turtle...He/she is starting to come up and peek at me now...so much fun to have the interaction...I have read that they will eventually leave to find other habitat or a mate and since I have no way of containing him/her I guess I have to be prepared for that to happen...It will be sad:(

Ask a Question