Turtle pond questions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi all, we are planning on having a contractor build an 8'x11' pond for our rescued red-eared slider who has outgrown her indoor setup. Our yard is fenced in but since turtles dig does anyone have ideas on how to keep the turtle from escaping the pond area? Also the contractor's standard pond depth is 2 feet. Is this deep enough (Zone 6b) for the turtle to stay in the pond over winter? He claims it's deep enough for both turtle and koi if we decide to get them but I've read some conflicting info so curious about other's experiences. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi all, we are planning on having a contractor build an 8'x11' pond for our rescued red-eared slider who has outgrown her indoor setup. Our yard is fenced in but since turtles dig does anyone have ideas on how to keep the turtle from escaping the pond area? Also the contractor's standard pond depth is 2 feet. Is this deep enough (Zone 6b) for the turtle to stay in the pond over winter? He claims it's deep enough for both turtle and koi if we decide to get them but I've read some conflicting info so curious about other's experiences. Thanks in advance!
it should be deep enough for the turtle. Now, talking koi, can we talk? Koi can get over 30" and are a huge bioload all unto themselves, not to mention your turtle. The general rule of thumb is 1000 gallons for the first koi and 250-500 for each additional. Koi can be fine in 24" but my recommendation is 3' minimum, esp if you get winter proper with ice and snow for any length of time. Do read up on how turtles brumate and have UW structures for them to wedge under/into or a container of 6" sand and clay.

btw, there is no real 'standard depth'...

I figure you'll be near 1000 gallons when you get done, so how about considering goldfish? Shubunkins are one type, they don't get as large as koi, and have a multitude of patterns/colors. The bioload from gf is a lot less and you don't need to be as concerned about feeding them.

All that said, by all means consider koi, but with a larger pond in mind. Too, the filtering needs for koi are greater...

As you allude, turtles are escape artists, so you'll defintely have to fence them in. For most ponds, I'd suggest you plan on fencing it in as opposed to the yard, but if you go around the perimeter and guarantee no small holes large enough for your turtle to scoot through, that's all you need. Digging, now, to stop this, what I did was to bury some plastic chicken wire 12" below ground level. This will stop that behavior. Too, what I found is that turtles will climb out and seek escape even though you sit them down and tell them the rules. They aren't great at listening and will still make the attempt. I've had turtles get stuck between rocks around my pond, necessitating rescue. Even lost one when he got stuck between rocks on my waterfall and I didn't even think to look there. Morale of this story is; think/loo/plan to NOT have such turtle traps. If you think they can slide/fall/climb and get stuck, prevent it by closing up gaps with smaller stone and or soil.

Welcome to GPF!

And if anyone asks, you DO like pineapple on pizza! Don't ask, and don't let the others dissuade you...! :cool: :D :D ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
it should be deep enough for the turtle. Now, talking koi, can we talk? Koi can get over 30" and are a huge bioload all unto themselves, not to mention your turtle. The general rule of thumb is 1000 gallons for the first koi and 250-500 for each additional. Koi can be fine in 24" but my recommendation is 3' minimum, esp if you get winter proper with ice and snow for any length of time. Do read up on how turtles brumate and have UW structures for them to wedge under/into or a container of 6" sand and clay.

btw, there is no real 'standard depth'...

I figure you'll be near 1000 gallons when you get done, so how about considering goldfish? Shubunkins are one type, they don't get as large as koi, and have a multitude of patterns/colors. The bioload from gf is a lot less and you don't need to be as concerned about feeding them.

All that said, by all means consider koi, but with a larger pond in mind. Too, the filtering needs for koi are greater...

As you allude, turtles are escape artists, so you'll defintely have to fence them in. For most ponds, I'd suggest you plan on fencing it in as opposed to the yard, but if you go around the perimeter and guarantee no small holes large enough for your turtle to scoot through, that's all you need. Digging, now, to stop this, what I did was to bury some plastic chicken wire 12" below ground level. This will stop that behavior. Too, what I found is that turtles will climb out and seek escape even though you sit them down and tell them the rules. They aren't great at listening and will still make the attempt. I've had turtles get stuck between rocks around my pond, necessitating rescue. Even lost one when he got stuck between rocks on my waterfall and I didn't even think to look there. Morale of this story is; think/loo/plan to NOT have such turtle traps. If you think they can slide/fall/climb and get stuck, prevent it by closing up gaps with smaller stone and or soil.

Welcome to GPF!

And if anyone asks, you DO like pineapple on pizza! Don't ask, and don't let the others dissuade you...! :cool: :D :D ;)
Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I definitely think I could do goldfish rather than koi. The shubunkins are gorgeous. The pond contractor told us we could fit 6-8 koi in an 8x11 pond which sounded crazy to me.
The chicken wire idea is great. Unfortunately I too am all too aware of a turtle's ability to get stuck in things. Mine got stuck under a rock in her tank awhile back and I thought she was dead. Had to drain water out of her lungs, etc. Will for sure be on the lookout for safety issues in the pond.
Thanks again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks so much for the detailed reply! I definitely think I could do goldfish rather than koi. The shubunkins are gorgeous. The pond contractor told us we could fit 6-8 koi in an 8x11 pond which sounded crazy to me.
The chicken wire idea is great. Unfortunately I too am all too aware of a turtle's ability to get stuck in things. Mine got stuck under a rock in her tank awhile back and I thought she was dead. Had to drain water out of her lungs, etc. Will for sure be on the lookout for safety issues in the pond.
Thanks again!
Glad to be of help!

You sound like a very good human for a turtle to have...I applaud you!

Yeah, you have to be careful when you talk ponding; unless they builders actually have pond and take care of it, you're liable tot be told all sorts of things. Oh, you CAN put 6-8 koi in, until you can't. They put out a massive amount of organics as they grow and it's exponential. Somewhere around here is the table/chart showing this...let me see if I can find it...

here's my copy; so you can see what you'd be up against...

Fish Weights, Lengths, Ammonia Produced, and  Waste Produced.jpg

Attachments

• Fish Weights, Lengths, Ammonia Produced, and Waste Produced.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Hi and welcome, just follow brokensword words about dig fencing and goldfishes...i just want to add that if the fence is a iron square wire or something like that, your turtles can climb it easily...they are nice climbers. You need to make a 90 decreto with fence so they get stuck...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The pond contractor told us we could fit 6-8 koi in an 8x11 pond which sounded crazy to me.
They will tell you what they think you want to hear. 6 to 8 koi, yep when they are babies and they don't stay as babies for long.
I have only shubbies in a big pond, simple to care for and pretty. I can never feed and they still do great.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome, just follow brokensword words about dig fencing and goldfishes...i just want to add that if the fence is a iron square wire or something like that, your turtles can climb it easily...they are nice climbers. You need to make a 90 decreto with fence so they get stuck...
Thank you! Yes, that's my next conundrum- what type of fence. Typical garden fences seem very easy for a turtle to climb. I'm thinking I need something with no horizontal lines but not sure what that would be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
do you still need fence your garden or is alrdy done? you can just turn in 90 degrees to inside and your turtle will find a barrier...or add a 90 degrees on your actual fence...
Something like that

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I can never feed and they still do great.
yeah, sort of like she treats us castle minions....and I'm officially protesting that LAST part!!!!

Sheesh! Thinkin' we're like shubbies....(shakin' ma head...)

:oops::oops::rolleyes:

Ask a Question