Turtle shell concerns

Reaction score
Is this shell rot or is she starting to shed?

Attachments

• 16047143385126106410397405460539.jpg
    16047143385126106410397405460539.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 92
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum Jessie!
It doesn't look healthy. It is unusual for them to shed all of their scutes at one time. When they are shedding, the scute takes a clearish appearance. Your turtle doesn't look like it is shedding. I could be but I doubt it. Here is what I would do:
Make sure the turtle's water is exceptionally clean.
Take a new, extra soft toothbrush and gently wash the shell.
'Walk' the turtle outside on your lawn for about 20 minutes early morning or late afternoon, not during the mid-day hot sun.
Make sure the turtle has a warm basking area.
Provide UVB lighting. Do research to get the right light for your turtle's home. Pay attention to the correct distance from bulb to shell.
Make sure it has a source of calcium.
Pay close attention to what you are feeding the turtle.
By the way, that little guy is very cute!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m no expert, but I don’t see typical shedding going on. How old is this turtle? As Stephan said above, proper set up is very much needed. Please clean the shell, and post a close up of the area you are concerned about. I’m not familiar with that species to say if the shell looks right, but all I saw is that it looks a bit dirty, which happens. Tell us about the set up you have, is this an out door pond turtle or kept just indoor?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Very cool! But, I bet a slider would find a way out. If I didn't know better, I would think they could pole vault. What an amazing pond. Those guys have a nice estate. Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i liked the idea as it stops them from climbing obviously you'd want a 8 inch or better depending on the breed. but the best was if they flipped over theres a clear area they have and wont get in trouble plus provides shade .but its hardly a cheap option

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did a search for turtle and this was the post that came up looking for you @Mmathis .. which is kinda ironic as i just added my first turtle shell to the pond unfortunately on the last constructability walk down i was on i found a box turtle that was dead it must have been a female as the colors were real bight . but looks nice sitting in my stagnant bog

Ask a Question