TURTLEMOMMY'S IDEAS --- YOUR IDEAS?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
OK, will post this and see if my image is there (the process was tooooo easy). This is my first time on the BIG computer for a while (previously either iPhone or tablet), so actually have access to pictures (and neato things to play with like fonts, etc.!)! If the pic doesn't end up with this post, I'm gonna feel a little silly.....

Still WAY in the "newbie-trying-to-figure-it-all-out stage," so please ask me all the questions you can think of. [Constructive] criticism welcome, too. :rolleyes:

Was measuring yesterday and decided to attempt to draw out my ideas. Well, I used software (I don't draw well), so things are probably more rounded than they will end up being, but it's enough to give ME a mental picture: I'm not a person who can imagine what something will look like -- I have to SEE it before I can see it!

The actual habitat areas for the box turtles isn't shown, but I have arrows pointing in those directions. This "pond space" will be a 3rd habitat area for them. What I have drawn here is the enclosed space (to prevent turtle-escapes) with a pond-idea in the middle. It might be hard to see, but there are lines that show about where the space will have to be divided to have a "girl" space, a "boy" space, and a central area for the pump & fishies. The "gridded" areas are where I'll have the false bottom (some call it eggcrate or waffle -- it's the stuff from the lighting depts.). These turtles aren't aquatics, so their water is more for soaking and needs to be shallow. These guys don't swim well! I'll have plants, too, but not going to worry about that just yet.

Does this look doable? Any shape or size changes that will make this easier to carry out (using flex liner)? Haven't thought too much about a waterfall or spitter but would like some movement to help oxygenate the water. Just don't know how to incorporate that into the plan, where to put it, etc. Will be making some type of DIY filter.

Open to suggestions, please? :unsure:

Attachments

• S TURTLE POND IDEA.jpg
    S TURTLE POND IDEA.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 372

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
(Didn't see the "edit" button!)

Depth! I haven't thought about that, yet, either. I've read where 3' is about the minimum in areas that freeze. Here in NW Louisiana, we get maybe a few weeks of freeze during the winter: sometimes in the teens, but mostly 30's to 40's. Our temps fluctuate so much from day to day and from morning to evening. We might get a run of 70's to 80's in the dead of the season, then subzero for a few days.

I was thinking that the 2 "wings" of the pond would be shallower than the central part, but slope toward the center to facilitate the flow of turtle waste, but have no ideas there other than that.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sounds good so far! If you're considering a fountain, waterfall or spitter, I would suggest the middle part, but don't see why you couldn't have one in each end! (Perhaps boy/girl themed?) John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow really neat idea's you have there. Will be fun to see pix of the finished project. I have a friend who has red eared sliders but then they are water turtles. She is figuring out a way to make an outdoor habitat for them but would be only in Spring/Summer for them as our winters get too cold for them. She brings them in then and puts them in an extra bathtub.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My four are bumping around thein winter quarters right now.... sound like tanks down there. And I noticed a fwe minutes ago that my indoor goldfish are SPAWNING!!! John

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, stroppy, you're not from around here! You probably have totally different kinds of critters where you are -- fascinating! Thanks for the link. Was something mentioned that I didn't know: that 3-toeds liked to spend more time soaking than other boxies. Well, I mean I know that MINE like to soak, but didn't know that was a 3-toed trait! :) Have been planning their "pond" to be my spring 2012 project. I've never had a pond, so am starting to buckle down on my research. Starting to get really excited, too!

I feed mine a combo of commercial boxie foods (pelleted), mixed with fresh veggies & fruit, worms, grubs, pill bugs, meal worms and whatever else I can catch in the yard, and maybe some cooked turkey. Have plants growing in their habitat that are safe for them to munch on, too.

Reaction score
Looks good. But I can't help from day dreaming... The center area for the fish could extend under the turtle tanks which could be set on top. That would give the fish more space and a lot of shade and cover. The turtle boxes could flow into the fish tank creating 2 water falls. The falls in the turtle tanks would be skimmers in those tanks so you could catch a lot of waste there, plus keep the surface of the water in the turtle tank spotless. I like elevation changes, and the turtles would be closer for viewing.

It would be cool if you could do the round shapes. I've only done that once and it looked great. I need to add that to my next pond to do list.

Reaction score
M,

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it and dream and then work at it. I really like the layout, it seems very natural for displaying your whole managerie.

One thing that you will probably want to plan ahead for is the design of the bottom of the pond (the terrain or slope) so that the water currents take the turtle waste towards the drain or pump outlet efficiently. Some waterfalls, skimmers and strategically placed water jets along with the proper layout of the pond liner and the curves will create what you desire in this purpose. You might have to do a little research and a little trial and error experimentation to put it all together and get the intended effect.

One thing about it, even though it may be a lot of work, you'll enjoy creating your pond just as much as you'll enjoy looking at it when it's done. It is just so much of a thrill to dream of something and then create it by your own hands.

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Waterbug: I'm terrible at "visualizing." Your ideas sound interesting, but having trouble seeing it -- sorry! Was originally going for idea of having this as all one pond, but with sections. Where the ends are for the turtles, the fish would have access to that, too, only underneath the false-bottom. But please try to explain your idea in a really dumbed-down way for me :) as it sounds interesting and leads into my next comment.....

Gordy: I think both of you are making my "light bulb" shine just a tad brighter. You're bringing up issues that I need to think about, or have thought about, but now need to decide how to implement them. Water flow and waste removal will be biggies for me. Had already thought that the "turtle" ends would be shallower, and want to have them sloped so they'll drain or flow toward the central area where the filter will be. Hmmm ..... So far haven't considered placement of outflows, skimmers, etc.

So guess it's time for TurtleMommy to pose my next question, placement of pump, etc.

Reaction score
M,

I am pondering your question about the placement of the pump..... .... .... You have several options that I think are ok. Which one is best? I don't know for sure.

1] Submersible pump near the lowest part of the pond, but not located at the very lowest point. Position the pump just an inch to three inches above the lowest point. This allows a small silt basin below the pump suction zone so that the pump is not submerged in the muck at any time. You will have to clean that silt basin out from time to time manually.

2] An external pump with a drain line leading to the lower portion of the pond liner. Same rule about height as before, but maybe not as critical as the external pump would probably handle solids better and could suck them out and dispense with them in an external settling basin or sediment trap.

3] A submersable or external pump after the entire filtration system. If you have a naturally sloping yard, you might be able to place the filters below the grade of the pond and allow gravity to take the water out of the bottom of the pond and downhill into the sediment trap and then on to your filter. Then use a submersible pump or an external pump to pump the water back up to the top entry point of the pond.

I personally prefer option #3 best, if it is possible for you. This requires more design considerations if the terrain does not accord it naturally. This keeps the pump in clean water all the time since it is located at a post-filter stage. You still will have the same problems with sediment or silt and debris collecting in the bottom of the pond or in the sediment trap, but it will not get caught up in the pump. Much better for the pump's life span. In the basin where the pump is located, you would need a float switch to shut off the pump so that it does not run dry if the filter system starts getting plugged up and does not allow enough water flow to the final stage. No pump should be allowed to operate dry. Some submersibles use the surrounding water as a coolant and in-line pumps require water flow for the same purpose, cooling and lubrication.

It all depends upon how much area of land you have to work with and the contour of the landscaping that you have to work with. If you have a sloped terrain, you can use gravity to your advantage in your design. If not, you will have to use the pump to do everything for you, no matter where you place it.

You have several months available for your planning, so you can consider everyone's input up until the time you start building your pond. You may come up with totally different ideas by then or maybe we will, too. I just enjoy throwing ideas at you and letting you judge them yourself. And I don't mind thinking about this on your behalf as I am contemplating the same for myself. I am just doing the "Think Tank" thing. You know, what could I do with my own design, what would be better or best. I am just thinking out loud with you and tossing up my own ideas for you to consider.

I figure that if I try to assist you, that benefits you and maybe I will come up with an idea that benefits me, too. I think that is good logic. Serves everyone well.

Gordy

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Waterbug -- so awesome! Thanks for the graphic! I can so SEE what you were talking about. What did you use to "draw" it?

Now, how would you make something like this? Bottom section I guess would be standard pond with flex liner, but HOW would the top "bowls" be constructed?

Ask a Question