Turtles for Pond?

Reaction score
Country
United States
HI All,
I have a 1,000 gal. pond with 8 mature fish and 5 babies (they are in their second season). Is it possible to keep a small turtle or tortoise in the pond? does anyone have any suggestions about the best kind for a pond environment? Also what would happen in the winter? Thanks for any suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United States
A turtle would be fine but not a tortoise as they are land reptiles. A lot will depend on your pond as turtles will bury themselves in mud, leaves, etc at the bottom of a natural pond during winter. I guess one could bring them inside for winter though as long as you have an aquarium of some form for them. I am no turtle expert but did have one when I was a child and really enjoyed raising it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a friend up the road who has turtles and she brings them inside in the winter into her spare bathtub w/a special light set up. Easy to clean the water, just pull the plug and replace water when needed. Think she has about 7 red sliders fairly good sized.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Depends on your climate, the pond and the type of turtle you have in mind. I keep my rescue red ear sliders outside in the summer but they are always hungry and will east most vegetation they can get at. Larger fish generally too nimble for them to get at. Escapes are another issue if you have natural sides to the pond. I bring them in for the winter.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Most commonly kept semi aquatic turtles ie sliders, painted turtles are omnivores, so they will eat plants. Painted turtles are smaller, so would be a little less destructive plant wise. As for bringing them in during the winter or letting them brumate in the pond depends on your climate and how your pond is set up. They don’t need to bury in mud, but will want to tuck under sunken logs or under large rocks or caves for the winter. Just pay attention to them as they come out of this period as they can look a little rough and may need a little help in recovering.

Watch out for predators even adult turtles are still prey to hawks, ospreys, eagles etc. and as was mentioned your pond will need to be escape proof ie a fence or raised vertical sides on the pond. Turtles are excellent escape artists.

I have kept Diamondback terrapins in my outdoor ponds for 12 years and leave them out there year round. These turtles are strictly carnivores, so they leave plants alone. The only catch is they are naturally brackish water turtles, so if you wish to keep them in freshwater they must be raised in it from a juvenile and the water must be kept clean as they can develop skin/shell issues otherwise. My ponds were designed with turtles in mind, so there are plenty of places for them to brumate.

Ask a Question