Turtles need Driftwood

Reaction score
No turtle pond is complete without some nice pieces of driftwood for them to bask on, and we finally got around to finding some decent pieces of driftwood for our pond and now the turtles are happy. Had a couple small pieces before, but it just didn't seem like enough for them, so we made a couple special trips to get some bigger pieces.
The turtles are obviously liking it. The piece they are basking on my wife picked out of the lake when we were kayaking and paddled with it for 1/2 a mile balanced on her kayak. (I got a video of that too) LOL

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Happy turtles! You have a bunch there.

The one I saw here is a land turtle, likes to lay in the bog, but stays out of the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well what turtle wouldn't love that pond for a home and they sure do like that new piece of driftwood. Hey mucky do you have your parrots feather growing in a pot? Some of mine is kinda yellowing and wondered if maybe a pot w/ kitty litter and some fert would help it?

Reaction score
Well what turtle wouldn't love that pond for a home and they sure do like that new piece of driftwood. Hey mucky do you have your parrots feather growing in a pot? Some of mine is kinda yellowing and wondered if maybe a pot w/ kitty litter and some fert would help it?
Yep it's in a pot. Actually, that and the yellow irises are the only plants in my pond that are doing really well. I'd really like my water lilies to do better. :(
What a lovely pond. I love the turtles. Do they bother your fish at all?
Thanks.
The turtles will eat little fish (or anything for that mater) if they can catch them, but most fish are way too fast for the turtles and they no how to avoid them. Small turtles like to browse around the shore line and between the plants, that's where they find fish eggs, dragonfly, mosquito and mayfly larva, and other insects that get caught in the water. Much easier and more productive than wasting energy chasing fish they can never catch. The one exception is newly hatched fry, turtles love them if they can find them, but often they'll eat the eggs before they can hatch.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I might have to try some of mine in a pot w/ a bit of fertilizer and see how they like it..................plants not turtles :razz:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I might have to try some of mine in a pot w/ a bit of fertilizer and see how they like it..................plants not turtles :razz:
For a minute there I thought you said you were going to give your turtles some fertilized pot! :nono:
What's-is-name

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
love the drift wood...love the pond...love the nice videos, crisp clear, and vivid video...i need a nice camera...cant afford one now tho.

Ask a Question