Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
People always ask what kind of filter do I get for turtles in my tank? Well basically look at it like this. If a filter is designed for fish then it will work for turtles BUT just use this not so elegant calculation tool
For every one turtle you put in the tank make sure your filter is designed to handle 10 times as many fish. If your tank is a 50 gallon and you only are going to fill it half way (as you do with turtles) then still get a bio-filter that handles the full 50 -70 gallons of water and you will be good. A UV sterilizer is also a must for turtles and you can pick one up at petsmart for about 60 bucks called "green killing machine" that works very well.
Questions Email to (e-mail address removed) or call/text to 706-957-2900
Text 24/7 for emergencies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
When we rescued our sliders we used an ehiem 2217 canister filter as their main filtration a 15 watt UVsterilizer 2 x 2 x 2 10 ml plate glass fish tank that we converted for the job, with an acid etched basking deck for purchase and ladder area to climb out of the water from/too or they seal off the basking area back into the water.
This made out of 10 ml plate glass with all sharp edges ground off , the ladder acid etched for purchase beween rounded glass struts laying across acid etched glass for purchase again they had plenty of space to do so.
We used the next 12 months to track down someone with as much passion that you and Maggie have for these poor creatures caught up in a ninja turtle craze that was all too short.
They went to a man who lives in Plymouth who had a large indoor pond and living area in his conservatory and as far as we know are still there to this very day as large as a set walking dinner plates :happy: .
Yet sadly still they still sell them in this country, I hate it when I see it , sat in in little bowls with an island and platstic palm tree to bask on [you know the ones], to either starve or die of disease because the person buying them hasnt a damn clue how to keep them nor what size they are capable of becoming with a good diet.
We would even feed ours, frozen fish,mealy worm, cuttle fish bone, worms, dead mice [that the cats had brought home] keeping everything s near to natural as you could get and they thrived .

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
When we rescued our sliders we used an ehiem 2217 canister filter as their main filtration a 15 watt UVsterilizer 2 x 2 x 2 10 ml plate glass fish tank that we converted for the job, with an acid etched basking deck for purchase and ladder area to climb out of the water from/too or they seal off the basking area back into the water.
This made out of 10 ml plate glass with all sharp edges ground off , the ladder acid etched for purchase beween rounded glass struts laying across acid etched glass for purchase again they had plenty of space to do so.
We used the next 12 months to track down someone with as much passion that you and Maggie have for these poor creatures caught up in a ninja turtle craze that was all too short.
They went to a man who lives in Plymouth who had a large indoor pond and living area in his conservatory and as far as we know are still there to this very day as large as a set walking dinner plates :happy: .
Yet sadly still they still sell them in this country, I hate it when I see it , sat in in little bowls with an island and platstic palm tree to bask on [you know the ones], to either starve or die of disease because the person buying them hasnt a damn clue how to keep them nor what size they are capable of becoming with a good diet.
We would even feed ours, frozen fish,mealy worm, cuttle fish bone, worms, dead mice [that the cats had brought home] keeping everything s near to natural as you could get and they thrived .

Dave
Your care system is rare in the world of turtle keeping. As you said most people are idiots and buy them on impulse and have no clue that they are complex creatures not designed to live in a plastic box with yard ornaments as foliage but thats why I run the rescue so that they have a proper home to go to when people realize they bit off way more than they can chew.

Ask a Question