Turtles with Koi???

Karen

I'd rather be Fishin'
Reaction score
Just started/built our pond. Haven't added any fish to it yet...letting it run and filter right now. My kids want to add those small turltes "painted or slider turtles". Can you have Koi and small Turtles in a pond???

mew5280

Mary, Denver, CO
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5, Denver CO, -10 to -15
Country
United States
I'm not an expert, but I had a turtle and koi together just fine. Just one turtle and one koi at the time. And I have a small pond, 600 gallons.

Reaction score
Many people say it can be done, and probably so if you have small turtles and big enough fish, but do keep in mind turtles are predators and will eat smaller fish. Here is a video that shows why I would think twice: warning, not pretty scenes for fish lovers:

[ame]

Reaction score
I want to put a turtle in my pond also. The majority of what I have read leads me not to do it. I've read the turtles might hurt or kill the fish. Also, the turtles will probably just wander off some day.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We tried it, must have put 10-12 baby turtles in the pond over the years. Sliders, soft shells, painted, and Musk Every one ended up wandering off. The one that stayed the longest was a musk turtle, he wondered up on his own and got in the pond and stayed for a couple of years. he was cool, got so tame he would come up and eat out of your hand. When we re-did the pond I moved it to the small pond, Guess he didn't like that one as he only stayed in there for a few days and then we never saw it again. Starting small they seem to be fine if you can keep them there but as they grow their instincts are going to drive them to hunting for food. It's natural instinct, question is can you handle if he finds and catches one for a late afternoon snack.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Neat idea if you want to teach the kids survival of the fittest, but bad idea with koi. Too expensive and well-mannered to execute. Maybe with feeder goldfish, but if you think fish are messy, you ain't seen nothing yet. Turtles are truly filthy animals, littering their water with body fluids and body parts, which will soon begin to stink if not cleaned almost religiously.

There is a variety of turtle that looks like sliders and is a vegetarian, but hard to find. And still messy. How big is your pond? Unless it is over 1000g, I'd try to stay away from koi. Shubunkin goldfish, which are cheaper and far hardier, still grow to be 8-10 inches long, and are a lot easier to keep. They have long fins and awesome color variety, plus they change color often as they age, like koi.

Reaction score
I have a pond with 7 red eared sliders and plenty of goldfish/koi...

I bought a lot of "feeder goldfish" and they never touch them.

I adopted my turtles from people who had them in tanks so they are accustomed to humans feeding them.

The point is how "domesticated" they are.

As for their "messiness".......I have a good filter I only have to clean my pond once a year. Yes they are messy but the fish/plants do a good job of cleaning them up.

Last but not least the turtles are a riot to watch especially when they beg for food!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I had the turtle that stayed in the pond with my fish for well over a year. 100% wild, yea, musk turtles stay pretty small but I never saw it go after a fish and really never noticed much waste. I don't recall missing any fish when it was in the pond. It would come straight to the edge and hide and wait for food. he was so fun to watch because the Big fish would just push him out of the way to get to the food and they got along fine. Now, that being said, that was one turtle, Not a pond full and another of the same kind could react 100% different. I have seen many ponds with small to med. size sliders in them and haven't seen that much of problems either. If you do put turtles in, I would recommend really good filtration and keep a close eye on them. This is one of those topics that could go either way, it could work and it could not. I'm not saying it is safe and each person responding can easily be correct for a given pond on any given day.

Reaction score
Assuming the turtles are too tiny to eat your koi, the thing I'd be most worried about is disease, increased organic waste, and parasites. Turtles poop and pee a LOT, thus upsetting nitrogen levels and increasing sludge production. Turtles also carry parasites that could be harmful to such an expensive investment as Koi.

This comes direct from my friends the Krebles, fairly famous koi breeders in my neck of the woods.

I would say... if you can find a way to 'de-parasite' the turtles, and supplement your pond with a microbial digester (such as my BZT Koi & Pond), small turtles would be ok. Otherwise, I'd avoid adding them, unless you're willing to risk your investment.

Reaction score
wow ut_bruce you really do your very best to promote microbial bacteria additives dont you !! particularly your bzt koi & pond, ive yet to read 1 single post from you where you dont reccomend something along those lines !! lol

you should post first in the introductions thread,

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing that out. I'm learning my way around here, so please cut me a little slack. Microbial additives is my field, so that's generally what I know about, but I suppose I should tone down the product naming convention and stick to generic terms. I do want to be helpful, but not step on toes. I have much I'd like to gain from this forum as well.

As for the introductions thread, I'll gladly take your suggestion to heart, though I'm heading out to see the Dalai Lama in a few minutes. Should be back Friday. And no, I won't be trying to sell him bugs. :)

Reaction score
i would not risk it because you may get attatched to the turtle and as it grows it my attack your koi and then you have a double dilemma

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think if it was me I'd build a separate shallow pond for the turtles. You don't have to worry about them eating your fish or making a mess except in their own little sanctuary. Make it safe so they can't escape as they will try and are quite good at climbing :nono:

Reaction score
Yeah I agree j.w, she has a great idea. Why not make a separate shallow pond for the turtles and if not possible i would say don't get a turtle or get a very young turtle and feed it by hand so that is won't hunt and get a taste for fish

Ask a Question