Turtles

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I live in western PA and would lie to know if anyone has had any turtles in their pond and will they live thru the winter?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes they will, I Live in Maryland and keep turtles in my ponds year round. There is no right answer, other than it depends on your pond and how it is setup, ie places for them to brumate in the depths of your pond, under logs, rocks, caves etc. Do you have a secure escape proof fence around your pond? You will need one, otherwise they will wander off.

denny

Winter in PA
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do not have a fence around it yet, but maybe in the future. Thanks for the input.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I do not have a fence around it yet, but maybe in the future. Thanks for the input.
without the fence, you're going to lose them. Start with the fence, THEN get the turtles. You'd be surprised how well they can climb, not to mention dig under. I keep turtles too, but so far have brought my painteds inside for the winter (they're still fairly young and I lost some prior over the winter, in the pond under the ice). When they get older, the plan is to let them be.

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@brokensword
i know you have painted turtles. Ive been reading up on them and they say they will eat your plants. Im only considering getting one turtle. Do you find that they really decimate your plants or just pick at them here and there? I know your pond is much bigger than mine will be, so the damage may be more profound in my setup haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@brokensword
i know you have painted turtles. Ive been reading up on them and they say they will eat your plants. Im only considering getting one turtle. Do you find that they really decimate your plants or just pick at them here and there? I know your pond is much bigger than mine will be, so the damage may be more profound in my setup haha.
I'd say you're more at risk with a smaller pond as their choices are less than with a larger one. I found certain plants got eaten first, hence why I either shallow basket them (a basket made of screen with a mesh top that lays on the surface and lets the roots grow down but where the turtles can't get them) or put them on the margin and if they creep into the pond, the turtles can eat their hearts' content.

I tend to make sure the turtles have enough fish pellets and aren't that hungry such that the plants get harassed. I've seen them pull at algae on the rocks when they COULD do the same with my water lilies, so I figure that's a sign they're content. They will (along with the fish) eat the roots of water hyacinth, parrot's feather, pennywort and sensitive plant. These I have protected or as stated, or growing in the margin.

I find they don't bother the water lettuce much (I think I read that these roots are sort of 'spikey', so I don't blame them) and it's good for pond filtering + surface cover.

So in answer to your question, my turtles don't decimate at all, not anymore! I'm actually more concerned re the fish! (same protection goes for them, too!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
This is great info thanks @brokensword! I just put a painted turtle in my pond after it got dinged by a car on our road and was worried it might destroy some of my water lilies. Glad to know they don't go too crazy on the plants.

Ask a Question